Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Another question: I will be receiving a significant amount of income ($50k) on around May 17th. Any legal and ethnical way I can have this as WA source income and therefore not subject to CO state tax? The income is reimbursement for my house selling costs from my employer

This income will always be WA source income. That does not necessarily exempt it from CO taxation. Although I don't know CO tax law, I'm sure it is the same as any other state I *am* familiar with... namely, all income earned world-wide is taxable to CO if you are a resident of CO unless explicitly excluded by CO (or federal) tax law. So, the only way to avoid CO taxation on the $50K is to ensure that you receive it before you establish CO residency.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.