No. of Recommendations: 1
Since tconi posted about a friend's tax problems, I thought I might as well do the same.

A neighbor recommended his tax accountant to us when we moved here. But this year, when we turned in our paperwork and made light conversation, I asked if our friend had beaten us to it. Tax dude said he hadn't seen him for a few years. So now I'm worried that said friend hasn't been filing. He's very disorganized--papers all over the house, and I know he had financial problems for a couple of years, but I thought things were resolved now since he's resumed eating out and having maid service, if less frequently than previously.

I've run into him a few times over the last couple of months, but I always lose my courage to inquire. It seems so intrusive, and I'm afraid of rejection, of causing an emotional breakdown, afraid to find out he's back in trouble. Stupid fears! What I want to say is, "<tax accountant> mentioned he hasn't seen you for a long time. Did you find a new tax person?" Should I just butt out? I'm not sure I can help even if he hasn't been filing. We pay our bills on time, including our taxes, but other than that aren't financially savvy. About all I could offer is a shoulder to cry on and encouragement to get on track with the IRS, if that is indeed a problem…but as you can tell, I have a very bad feeling about this. I had to drag him into signing up for Obamacare--basically I had to go online and pick a plan for him and email a link to make it easier so he would sign up. Too bad he doesn't have a wife or a personal assistant--he sure could use one. He did finally hand over his assets to a broker as he wasn't keeping up with investments. I think he may be aging badly as well…cognitive issues?? He seems much less talkative and on top of things than he used to be. Maybe he just doesn;t like me any more(!)--when he used to go out for lunch a lot, he used to invite me/us for company (just me usually as my husband worked in town), but after some rejections (I can't afford to eat out as often as he did), he stopped asking. (And no, there was never anything between us but neighborly friendship--we aren't each others' types anyhow! And I could never be with a smoker with DUIs even if I weren't in a loving marriage.)

Sorry for babbling…I'm worried about him. He doesn't seem to have anyone else worrying about him either (no family and his friends that I've met seem like good-time-Charley types…people to go bar-hopping with).
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.