Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have some shares in a unit investment trust which invests in municipal bonds. In 2000 one of the bonds matured, and the trust distributed the proceeds. I received a 1099.
I don't know the basis. Tentatively I am expecting to declare it as equal to the proceeds, since the bond matured at par. I know my total basis for the shares, but still own the same 5 shares that I did last year.
Any better ideas? The amount involved is $65, so it is not a big deal.
Thanks, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.