Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

Many here know that one impetus of my request for this board was the onset of serious illness among family and friends.

Along those lines, I thought I'd provide an update based on news received today.

My brother had his first appointment with the rheumatologist. The doctor took his medical history and drew 5 vials of blood for testing.

Upon learning of the course of powerful steroids that my brother took last summer following his brain tumor surgery, the doctor told him that he believes there is a link between steroid use and the onset of arthritis, claiming that many of his fellow physicians don't concur with that opinion.

He has an apt with the neurologist on Friday. He believes my brother suffered his first post-surgery seizure last week, so he's going back for evaluation of his anti-seizure meds. I don't know much about seizures, but they sound like a misfiring in the brain network. I'm worried for him, hope they can control these.

My co-worker with the recurrence of breast cancer, has been referred to hospice. I almost cannot bear the thought of this.

My best friend, also with breast cancer, is still undergoing another round of chemo and hanging in there.

These folks are all in their 40s and should have so many more healthy days of life ahead. All I can do is keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

On a somewhat lighter note, fingers crossed, my brother's wife is due to give birth in five weeks. We should have a new baby in the family soon. She was diagnosed this week with preeclampsia so she is resting at home and they are monitoring her condition and hope not to have to take the baby too soon.

My grandparents, 87 and almost 90 were on the phone with me today, relaying their little aches and pains. I told them to count their blessings and stay warm.

Wishing you all the best - MG
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.