Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Another way to look at Softie is as Moore has been recently describing the company -- a
Gorilla that's caged. It's got all the power it has ever had within its caged environment
but it is showing signs of weakness beyond the cage. This might be another aid for
investors as we contemplate Microsoft's future.

Thanks, Mike.

What I'm wondering is, could you, in good conscience, recommend BUYING it, now? The threats may not be proven, as you say, but the area the threats are coming from, I don't see how Microsoft can leverage their gorillahood (ship?) in those areas.

They are seperate and distinct from the PC market.
I think Citrix may have been on the way to showing
how they could be "discontinued" (though this may be partially due to my incomplete understanding of what Citrix does). If a system of centrally served applications were to catch on fully, that were platform agnostic, then any platform that uses HTML could replace Windows. If that's not quite what Citrix does, you could see that happening, atleast.

But MSFT attempts to attack the handheld market are going no where, EVERYBODY hates WinCE. WebTV is a failure, so far. MSN will never be a gorilla OR godzilla by the looks of it.

Internet Explorer has clearly won that fight, but it's free, and AOL will keep Netscape going to make SURE
IE remains free. Cellphone browsers? It's too early to tell, there, and I haven't seen MSFT's new cellphone browser, but THAT will have to be free, too, atleast at the consumer end.

They were making inroads in the server market, no doubt, but the growth of Sun and the Linux companies,
which is much greater than that of MSFT, leads me to believe that MSFT won't ever replace Sun as the Gorilla there.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm just bashing, but AT SOME POINT, people playing the GG who hold MSFT, need to take a serious look at what's ahead.

FWIW, ICBW, WTFDIK
Tim

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.