Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I need some suggestions for alternatives to the term "senior citizens". Any ideas?
Print the post Back To Top
I need some suggestions for alternatives to the term "senior citizens". Any ideas?

Age challenged? :o)

Hedge
Oldies but goodies?

--fleg
Senile citizens
Old fogy.
Folks that are re-tard.

Bob
I always call myself a "geezer".
No. of Recommendations: 1
Seasoned Citizen...

How about the Geritol Generation ????

ImAGolfer

P.S. The wife suggests Well Endowed of Mind & Body.
Golden Oldies? Silver foxes?

Trini

I'm especially fond of "Geezers." Except when some old man who can't see over the steering wheel is in front of me, diddles up to the intersection, then runs the light. He is a "useless old @#$@ who should have died years ago!"

Phil
He is a "useless old @#$@ who should have died years ago!"

It's a shame that someone with a TMF ID would post such hateful garbage.

Hedge
No. of Recommendations: 2
Phil: I have seen very few of these run red lights. I'll admit that
they (I ?) might cost you up to one or two seconds of your time.
Myself, I hate the speeder that attempts to under cut pass me on
exits. Often in mirrors blind spot. Sees a problem ahead and jumps
around me to wait one car closer to get by problem. And the idiot that
gets five feet behind me, when he can see I am in a line, and hovers
like a buzzard waiting for a small opening to cut into.

With the last one, I know all i have to do to start wreck is to pause
and look at a pretty girl. But I can't do this because I know his
driving skill has cost him his insurance.

If the two of us controlled life of drivers, we could kill off enough
to have the road to ourselves. Than we can play chicken.
If the two of us controlled life of drivers, we could kill off enough
to have the road to ourselves.

A friend used to say that when he became Emperor he was going to put the best scientific minds in the realm to work on two devices:

1. The Jetson "morning" machine

2. Something that would obliterate the vehicles of intersection blockers without harming the drivers, who don't seem to realize they have nowhere to go until the cars ahead of them move.

Phil

Legacy Citizens
seasoned citizens
How about "Maturity discount qualifiers"?
instead of gone but not forgotten, it could be "Here, but forgettin. Hal
instead of gone but not forgotten...

And then there's "forgotten, but not gone." Ya know, like when you read that some famous person died and say to yourself, "Gee, I thought she died years ago." I'll mention Lady Bird Johnson, just so she's not in that category.

Phil

Why? "Senior Citizen" suits me well enough. What's your problem?
"Discounted Citizen" This one works two ways.
"Senior Citizen" was coined to have some positive implications, as opposed to "old people" "elderly" "aged" and the like, with only negative implications. I don't mind claiming a "Senior citizen's discount" or some preferential treatment acknowledging that physically I don't get around as fast as I used to.
So what's the matter with "senior citizen"?
Chris
So what's the matter with "senior citizen"?

Nothing wrong with it at all. Then after you die you become a "graduate citizen." And the dirt on your grave becomes PhD (Piled higher and deeper.) :-)
Ted
Golden Oldie?
Oldie but goodie? (AKA OBG)

cliff
How about 'marginalized compulsive self-abuser' if you smoke. Can't smoke in a restaurant, can't smoke on the restaurant's patio, can't smoke within a certain distance of the restaurant.

Marginalized because we smokers are anathema and must be placed where there isn't the slightest possibility that a whiff of cigarette smoke would 'offend'. Compulsive because we have no will to listen to what is the revealed truth. Self-abusers because we – who should know better – don't hew the prevailing progrom of cigarettes being the cause of all, repeat all, of humanities woes.

Elly and I were on a restaurant's patio that bordered on the street in Longmont, Colorado, the patio and the sgtreet separated by a simple three-foot high wire fence. To smoke I had to exit the patio and sit on a street bench only a few feet from the table we had on the patio. So I ordered dinner from the street. When I finished my cigarette I walked back five feet to the table.

The rental car is a non-smoking car: no ashtray or lighter. Our hotel room was no smoking.

I celebrated my 68th birthday huddled on a balcony shivering in the wind. I contend we smokers aren't going to die of what those who hate smoking say we will but of pneumonia.

Rant over. After I post this I am going outside for a cigarette. You may curse accordingly.

MichaelR

No. of Recommendations: 3
"Recovering youth."

--fleg

P.S. I agree with Mr. Read's contention that smokers are all too picked upon. I support expanding smoking areas to include buildings that are about to undergo demolition within the next five minutes, and icebergs.
P.S. I agree with Mr. Read's contention that smokers are all too picked upon. I support expanding smoking areas to include buildings that are about to undergo demolition within the next five minutes, and icebergs.

I, too, believe smokers are too picked upon. I believe that smokers should be able to smoke absolutely anywhere near me -- so long as they do not get smoke in my hair or on my clothes and I do not smell their smoke. Smokers have every right to spend their money on tobacco, every right to chose their means of exiting this world, but smokers and smoking really stink.

P.S. I quit 2/10/86.
Marginalized because we smokers are anathema and must be placed where there isn't the slightest possibility that a whiff of cigarette smoke would 'offend'.

So you wouldn't mind if I farted in your face? It's just another odor after all.
Hee hee hee. I giggled at the last few posts.

I used to commute to work on the train in Boston. One of my friends had a sign taped to his briefcase: "I don't fart in your face. Please don't blow your smoke in mine."

I am amazed from time to time when I recall the bad old days, where any meeting was smoke-filled, and all clothes had to be cleaned after attending a meeting. Where restaurants stank of cigarettes, even if there was a separate no-smoking section. Now, if someone is smoking on the sidewalk 50 feet in front of me, I notice the stench and wrinkle my nose. Even someone smoking in the car ahead of me at a red light stinks.

cliff
I am amazed from time to time when I recall the bad old days, where any meeting was smoke-filled, and all clothes had to be cleaned after attending a meeting. Where restaurants stank of cigarettes, even if there was a separate no-smoking section. Now, if someone is smoking on the sidewalk 50 feet in front of me, I notice the stench and wrinkle my nose. Even someone smoking in the car ahead of me at a red light stinks.

I grew up around smokers. Started smoking at 18 but experimented earlier.

When non-smokers wrinkled up their noses I thought they were being melodramatic. I had no idea that smoking smelled bad.

One of the many times I stopped smoking I recall sitting at my desk smelling something "funny." It was everywhere and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Finally I took my suit jacket off and went to someone else's office or just down the hall. No funny smell. It was thus I discovered the smell was my suit jacket which hadn't been dry clieaned since my most recent quit.

But still I went back. Finally a friend and I quit together. We had both quit so many times that we decided this was the last time. It got harder every time and I just didn't think I could go through it again. I wanted a cigarette every minute of every day for about 3 years. I followed smokers down the street (not hard to do in NYC), I sat in the smoking car on the train (there were still such things), until one day in ~1989 I smelled something terrible which I'd never (honestly) smelled before. I followed it. It was a burning cigarette. I was cured.

until one day in ~1989 I smelled something terrible which I'd never (honestly) smelled before. I followed it. It was a burning cigarette. I was cured.

Cured? Nah, you're never cured. I quit in 1979 after about 15 years of smoking (from age 12 or so). Even now, perhaps one cigarette in a thousand just simply smells good.

Hedge
when I quit, I promised I would never smoke another cigarette, and have kept my promise. Thank god for my pipe and an occasional cigar. Hal
Marginalized because we smokers are anathema and must be placed where there isn't the slightest possibility that a whiff of cigarette smoke would 'offend'.

So you wouldn't mind if I farted in your face? It's just another odor after all.

Tedhimself

There you go – adding beautiful, energetic, explanatory, editorial, delightful, hee-hee-hee farts to the pantheon of the disagreeable. When will it ever end?

Perfume = bad; any odor that isn't within the specter of 'acceptable du jour' = bad. But do you realize the eventual impact of all this? BBQ = bad; campfire = bad. A roasting marshmallow = bad. Now if you're roasting a marshmallow over a campfire while BBQing = instantaneous death.

Just for amazement could the number of things enjoyed as a child and now are on the list of 'nye kulturny'.

MichaelR

MichaelRead: <...any odor that isn't within the specter of 'acceptable du jour' = bad...>

Of course, Michael, there is a difference between odors which are merely unpleasant/disagreeable and those which are detrimental to one's health.

Fart smelling may be disgusting but second-hand smoke can kill you!

Regards,

Grumpy
You know you're getting old when:

1. Conversation with people about your own age often includes the subject of FARTS!

and

2. You join right in to the lively discussion.

Can we change the subject now?

You guys are enough to gag a maggot. LOL

Trini
Years ago (many) when the DW and I would vacation on Ft. Myers beach I used to complain that there were only UFO's (ugly, fat & old) down here.
Awww Nuts!!! Now I am one ;)
You know you're getting old when:

1. Conversation with people about your own age often includes the subject of FARTS!

and

2. You join right in to the lively discussion.

Can we change the subject now?

You guys are enough to gag a maggot. LOL

Trini

Dear heart, since I was the one to hijack this thread (guilty on all counts to even a silly millimeter longer), I feel I should close it with the following observations on farts made by those with greater understanding than I.

Nun Hung Lo: Chinese Philosopher/Eunuch (circa 700 AD), “The mouth must make many utterances to cause a response; the anus needs to give but one to elicit merriment or disgust.”

Chief Breaks Like the Wind: (circa 1769), “You did not hear the thunder that roiled across the mountains and trees of the Arapaho nation? Grandchild, pull my finger again.”

Lord Acton: (circa 1866), “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely and the one I just let loose has the power to corrupt absolutely.”

The thread is now closed.

MichaelR

>>"Senior Citizen" was coined to have some positive implications, as opposed to "old people" "elderly" "aged" and the like, with only negative implications.<<
-
Hi, Chris
I don't agree with your phrase "only negative implications".
"old people" "elderly" "aged" are simply truthful terms.
But youth worshippers may try to discern negative implications.
-
One trouble with "Senior Citizen" is that in the U.S, there are many old folks (hey, this is a good one!) who are not citizens, as they are aliens.