Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here is another one of those annoying "can I write this off" type questions.

By profession I am an airline pilot and I am trying to gather all the expenses associated with the job and seeing if they exceed the standard deduction for a single filer. I have been looking at things like hotel and meal expenses (paid by me not the company) cell phone, dry cleaning, moving expenses and so on. Another one, which would be the most significant for me would be housing expenses. I am a resident of Michigan and file in Michigan. I took up temporary residence in PA and TX in 2007 for work at my expense. I would travel from MI to PA or TX and stay at the place I was renting in order to be at work, this is known as a "crash pad" in the airline industry. Does this sound like something that could be written off as a work related expense? Thanks for the info!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.