Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
There are two basic reasons we believe that Manchin will eventually come around, in some fashion. The first is that the incentives for him to get on board are enormous. If he's a loyal party man, this is the Democrats' chance to achieve some of their main priorities. If he's in it for West Virginia, this is his opportunity to score enough pork to keep Hormel in business for the next century. If he's in it for himself, he could have any committee chair he wants, or an eight-figure donation for his reelection PAC, or just about any other boon his heart desires.

The second reason is that Manchin's explanation for his intransigence is not especially believable. He has yet to say, for example, why he was ok with the For the People Act last term, but now he opposes it. More broadly, he has been in the United States Senate for more than a decade. He saw then-Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) steal a Supreme Court seat. He saw Trump skate on two impeachments. He saw the Joint 1/6 commission go down in flames. It is implausible that he thinks a new era of bipartisanship and kumbaya is just around the corner; he's too smart for that. It's almost as implausible that he believes bipartisanship is of such paramount importance that it's better for Congress to do nothing than to pass legislation supported by only one party.

https://electoral-vote.com//
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Manchin appears to be a not-so-bright lying incompetent negotiator. If he actually wanted to get Republicans to negotiate and compromise instead of simply becoming obstructions to all progress, then he should be telling them and the world that he really doesn't want to do it, but if Republicans won't negotiate honestly, he sees no option but to eliminate the filibuster and support the Democrat agenda, as is. This might bring some of them to the table. Instead, he appears to be trying to force Democrats away from the table and negotiations by telling them that he will not budge on filibuster or the Democrat agenda. In other words, he is delivering the message to Mitch McConnell and the Republicans that he has their backs and they don't need to change a thing - just keep filibustering everything - and he will protect them from ever needing to negotiate.

It is difficult to imagine a more ineffective approach to bipartisan cooperation than the one Manchin has chosen. He comes across as pretty stupid.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Compromat.
A realist who is an elected West Virginia politician. Not hard to understand.
No. of Recommendations: 2
A realist

Really? Biden's agenda could solve a lot of problems in his state. What have Republican policies done to help West Virginia?

Give me one other than coal.
"Biden's agenda could solve a lot of problems in his state. What have Republican policies done to help West Virginia?"

Obviously West Virginia voters don't agree with you.

Not going to even try to name a policy then.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't need to, the voters have spoken.
Give me one other than coal.

Republicans can't even claim to have helped West Virginia with coal mining. https://www.eia.gov/coal/annual/

West Virginia coal production dropped 3.3% from 2018 to 2019, which is consistent with the trend that has been going on in the US for at least the last decade. Coal is simply too expensive to use as an energy source once you include the cost of cleaning up the environment from the poisonous waste it produces.
"Biden's agenda could solve a lot of problems in his state. What have Republican policies done to help West Virginia?"

You guys are pretty good at duping voters. Policies are a lot harder. Why bother with all that work if you can just lie to them and stay in power?
No. of Recommendations: 5

By that logic, fast food is healthy.
"Why bother with all that work if you can just lie to them and stay in power?"

You have just quoted the Democrat motto.
"By that logic, fast food is healthy."

By your logic you and others are saying that you know best what West Virginians want and need. That is a pretty arrogant position to take.
No, I only know what they don't need.
That too is pretty arrogant. I know what you don't need but I know better than to get in your face and try and make you take it and call you stupid because you aren't interested.
Arrogant or not, it's the truth.
"Arrogant or not, it's the truth."

Not necessarily, It is merely ...your..opinion.
But my opinion happens to be right.
"But my opinion happens to be right."

All autocrats and fascists also think this about their opinions too, which is clearly extreme arrogance. It is your truth, but not necessarily ...The Truth. There are those who have us think that 2+2=5, which may be their truth, but clearly in reality not The truth. You have an opinion but others also have the right to their opinions as to what their needs and wants are and in that it is basically none of your business.
Except I'm the one claiming that 2+2=4.
LOL in your mind perhaps, that will probably work for you in
RayGJAHistan, but in America the people of West Virginia couldn't give a clap about what you think about their wants and needs. They,like you, have enough to worry about in their own back yards. If it makes you feel good to think others care about your ...opinions ... good for you but then in addition to arrogance, the issue of delusional comes into play.
Interestingly enough, you're the only one that seems to care about my opinion.
Not at all . add me to the ret of the world that could care less about your opinion(or your truths). Interesting enough you feel it important that you share them with me...I am flattered.
My opinions are important enough to share. Thank you for noticing.
"Why bother with all that work if you can just lie to them and stay in power?"

You have just quoted the Democrat motto.

Seems not, judging by the evidence.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"By that logic, fast food is healthy."

By your logic you and others are saying that you know best what West Virginians want and need. That is a pretty arrogant position to take.

The question asked was "what Republican policies have helped West Virginia". I've not seen answer yet.