Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anthony,

Yes, natural laws are generally quite dependent on the conditions in which one is looking. Newton's Laws, for example, don't work will for either the very fast or the very small. Relativity can generalize to big or small, fast or slow. Depends what you're looking at. Ideal gas only works within a certain range and then it breaks down, as you say.

My coworker was making more statements today. I don't usually mind since it gives me something to think about. I always feel more secure if his statements/questions can be answered by science. However, he is no more a biologist than I am. I was interested to hear him say today that evolution via natural selection is an excellent theory regarding why we have such wide varieties within a "kind". Sounded like the "can't get a cat from a dog" argument, though he didn't specifically say that.

Anyway...he says the following question stumped Dawkins. Not that I accept Dawkins as a benchmark of scientific knowledge, but he is a biologist. He was asked to identify one verifiable example of an organism increasing its complexity (the implication being that this is what is required if we are to believe in descent from single-celled organisms to the multi-celled organisms such as chimps and dolphins and us). This may be a nonsense question, or it may be that there's an excellent answer. I don't know enough to argue either way. We infer a lot from the fossil record, but even then if you read carefully the paleontologists use a lot of vague language (e.g. "may have", "appears to"). Some of that I'm sure is typical scientific caution, but some of it may simply be because it is NOT conclusive. Interested in your input on this question. This appears to relate to changes in (for example) the phylum or genus leading to new species, if I understand the intent correctly.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.