Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
MEDICARE PART B PREMIUM :: Increase to $144.30 from $135.50
MEDICARE PART B DEDUCTIBLE :: Increase to $197 from $185
MEDICARE PART D Rx DEDUCTIBLE :: Increase to $435 from $415
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"MEDICARE PART D Rx DEDUCTIBLE :: Increase to $435 from $415" mendomann

Is that per month for the part D? Whew... way more than I'll be able to afford to pay after my wife finally retires and I have to pay my own way.

Art
"MEDICARE PART D Rx DEDUCTIBLE :: Increase to $435 from $415" mendomann

Is that per month for the part D? Whew... way more than I'll be able to afford to pay after my wife finally retires and I have to pay my own way.

Art

No. The $435 is an annual deductible.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Is that per month for the part D? Whew... way more than I'll be able to afford to pay after my wife finally retires and I have to pay my own way.

Art

No. The $435 is an annual deductible.

intercst>>

Heh, heh! Sounds like Art wont have to apply for work at the A&P if his wife retires!

Seattle Pioneer
"No. The $435 is an annual deductible." - intercst

Meaning they'll deduct it from my Social Security check? So $36.25 deducted off each month's social security check? That's okay then. I can swing that.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
"No. The $435 is an annual deductible." - intercst

Meaning they'll deduct it from my Social Security check? So $36.25 deducted off each month's social security check? That's okay then. I can swing that.

</snip>

No. If you have a Medicare Part D Drug Plan, the first $435 in drug purchases per year is out-of-pocket before the insurance kicks in and pays anything.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 5
"No. If you have a Medicare Part D Drug Plan, the first $435 in drug purchases per year is out-of-pocket before the insurance kicks in and pays anything." - intercst

Gawwww! It's so complicated! That sort of explains why so many people forgo having the Part D drug plan. I guess a lot of people don't even spend that much a year on prescriptions?

So how much does the part D drug plan cost per month or per year? Do they take it out of your social security check? Or is this something I have to find and buy on my own? I might be able to get it through my TCRS pension with the state of Tennessee? I think they do have insurance and it might be like the insurance I had when I worked for the UT Vet School?

This is why I am for a single payer system through the Federal Government. I think a lot of Canadian people like what they have up there. My dermatologist is from Toronto, Canada and he moved to Middle Tennessee to get rich. He hates the Canadian system because he couldn't get rich up there. I told him I was for a single payer system and he told me if we got that here I'd die. This after I had received several surprise bills in the mail from him which was the over and above I had to pay that my BC/BS didn't pay.

Plenty of people in the United States who are poor have died for lack of health care because they can't afford those surprise bills or their drugs or the insurance premiums. I'm pretty sure my mom was one of them. She died way back in 1968.

Art
So how much does the part D drug plan cost per month or per year?

It depends. My wife and I signed up for a Medicare Advantage plan several years ago. They included Medicare Part D coverage in their plan at no additional cost over Medicare Part B.
No. of Recommendations: 7
That sort of explains why so many people forgo having the Part D drug plan. I guess a lot of people don't even spend that much a year on prescriptions?

That is the purpose of insurance.
This always turns my lights on, so forgive my ramble here, but I've got to say it....

Insurance of all types exists for one purpose....to prevent financial catastrophe that could lead to insolvency (bankruptcy). It is a financial product only. This includes insurance against unexpected death, your house burning down, becoming permanently disabled while working or, the grandaddy of all insuance, an auto accident when many are injured and you're found liable (neglegent). All of these events are rare and most will live a lifetime without incurring any. But it only takes one that without insurance, would likely lead to bankruptcy.

Part D is there in the event you are diagnosed with some dread condition that requires very expensive medication. For example, you travel overseas, return and develop a very sore throat, headaches and swollen neck. You see your Dr. who diagnoses toxoplasmosis. The drug of choice for this is Daraprim taken for about 2 months. The cost is about $45,000/month. The risk of this, or something like it, happening to you is small...but it only takes once.

To your questions

A Part D plan can be had for as little as $20 or so per month (depends on the state) for very basic but true catastrophic coverage, up to $Hundreds per month for a plan with very little in copays. If you use Medicare as your primary insurance, you must carry a part D plan. If you do not, there will be a permanent 1% penalty on your premium (actually on the average monthly premium of about $32) for each month you go without Part D coverage.

If you enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan, most will provide their own prescription drug coverage so you do not need a separate Part D plan.

If you are covered by a drug plan through an employer or spouse employer plan, you can delay getting a Part D plan.

The premium for your Part D plan can be withheld by Social Security from your monthly SS check. Most, however, don't do it this way as it requires coordinating this premium and future possible changes through the SS bureaucracy, which can be problematic.

A single payer sounds good at first....until you have to live inside of one. It removes consumerism from the equation and inserts government bureaucrats or their contractors. You wouldn't like it.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 3
<< For example, you travel overseas, return and develop a very sore throat, headaches and swollen neck. You see your Dr. who diagnoses toxoplasmosis. The drug of choice for this is Daraprim taken for about 2 months. The cost is about $45,000/month. The risk of this, or something like it, happening to you is small...but it only takes once.>>

Stay home. Consider it your contribution towards preventing global warming.

And save $90,000 too.

Seattle Pioneer