Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Any advice on donating a car? Is it too late to do this for a 1998 deduction?

***Too late for '98! When you donate a vehicle to a qualified organization, you may deduct the fair market value of the car as a charitable deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040) "Itemized Deductions". Many times, the Blue Book value is acceptable unless the thing has really become a junker. If, when added to your other itemized deductions, your contributions exceed your standard deduction, you will realize a reduction in taxable income. If gifts exceed certain limits, an additonal form (Form 8283) will be needed when you file your return. Get a receipt!!!!!!!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.