Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
...Any amount of the loss can be used to offset capital gains. What you need to do is have gains to use up the losses. Any amount of losses can be applied against gains...

I understand from the above that if I loose 9K in 2009 and have no gains, I can only write off 3K. But in 2010 - if I gain 10K, I can balance 6K of the outstanding looses from 2009 against the 10K and only pay on 4K of net gain ?

Is this correct ? It seems too simple.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.