Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
For over one year now I've been using a CITICARDS credit card which gives 5% cash rebate on grocery store purchases, gasoline purchases etc. For purchases of items that were at other retailer types, you would receive 1% cash rebate. I recently received a letter from CITICARDS that explained they were changing the program so that they would no longer rebate 5% but instead rebate 2%. They were expanding the number of retailers that the rebate percentage was applied to.

I looked at www.creditcardgoodies.com and the only other credit card that has a cashback rebate is a Discover card. Apparently gives 5% cash rebates for purchases made at various retailers that are cycled as the year goes on. The way I understand it it works something like this, for three months of the year all purchases made at restaurants receive a 5% rebate, for the next three months all purchases made at gasoline stations receive a 5% rebate, etc. apparently they try and rotate the type of retailer that you are rebate is 5% on.

Does anyone know of any other cash rebate programs which are better than the two I described above?

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
The Chase perfectcard is a rewards card that credits cash back on every statement (no 'points' or saving up rewards to a specific amount before cashing or other gimmicks).

You get 5% back on gasoline purchases and 1% on (I think) everything else. I am only sure about the gas as I use it only for this. The other 1% isn't enough to sucker me back into 'I use a credit card for everything' mode...though some do pride themselves on gaming the cards even for only 1%. They tend to be more spendy than me so that 1% actually amounts to something.

For me, 5%=worth my while; 1% is not worth it. Start talking points or miles and you better peddle it elsewhere.

Just my opinionated 2 pennies.

Pdub
They changed the program slightly -

Chase PerfectCard Platinum MasterCard

Earn Automatic Rebates on All Gas at Any Station

Earn a 6% Rebate on all eligible gas purchases at any station for the first 90 days account is open; 3% Rebate on all gas after that; 1% Rebate on all other purchases.

Complete Reward Program Terms and Conditions will be provided upon establishing an account. Certain restrictions and limitations apply.
I think Kroger's card offers a pretty good discount/rebate deal on gas an groceries, if you happen to shop there or one of their other chains. I plan on applying here in a few months to rollover some money from a 0% deal on another card I'm currently taking advantage of.
I fyou go with Discover, please note that you have to go the website and confirm that you want the latest 5%. I never remember to do this and didn't, frankly, even realize that it went through a regular cycle. I only signed up when I happened to notice it when checking something. Since I can download my data from within Quicken, I didn't go there very often so often missed the latest 5%.

Selphiras
No. of Recommendations: 1
There are two cards available through Costco and AMEX that are worth a look.

The one they push currently is a 1/2/3% reward. 3% on dining out, 2% on travel, 1% on everything else.

The one I have pays .5% to 1.5% on a sliding scale depending on how much you spend in a year. I think you get to 1.5% at $5k. Our cashback reward averaged out to 1.4% last year, and I haven't seen any cards that can beat that. Not sure if they're still offering this card to new customers, but worth asking about if you run a significant amount of money through a credit card.
For over one year now I've been using a CITICARDS credit card which gives 5% cash rebate on grocery store purchases, gasoline purchases etc. For purchases of items that were at other retailer types, you would receive 1% cash rebate. I recently received a letter from CITICARDS that explained they were changing the program so that they would no longer rebate 5% but instead rebate 2%. They were expanding the number of retailers that the rebate percentage was applied to.

I looked at www.creditcardgoodies.com and the only other credit card that has a cashback rebate is a Discover card. Apparently gives 5% cash rebates for purchases made at various retailers that are cycled as the year goes on. The way I understand it it works something like this, for three months of the year all purchases made at restaurants receive a 5% rebate, for the next three months all purchases made at gasoline stations receive a 5% rebate, etc. apparently they try and rotate the type of retailer that you are rebate is 5% on.

Does anyone know of any other cash rebate programs which are better than the two I described above?

I have the Citicard as well and was disappointed to get that letter. It was interesting that they tried to make it seem like a new benefit in that they were expanding the offer to more types of purchases! Really, I only used it for gas and groceries as well.

I also have a Discovercard, which hasn't been used for a while since the current 5% special isn't one that I use. Back when the 5% rebate was on restaurants we bought a large gift card at the place we go most often, so we were able to extend the offer somewhat.

Really, it doesn't seem like the rebate deals are as good anymore. The get new customers in with the good rebates and then lessen the benefit in the hopes that we will just keep using it. But I guess we have to keep it in perspective, getting anything back in rebates is better than nothing.

If you find any better CC offers out there let us all know.
Mosquito
They changed the program slightly -

Chase PerfectCard Platinum MasterCard

Earn Automatic Rebates on All Gas at Any Station

Earn a 6% Rebate on all eligible gas purchases at any station for the first 90 days account is open; 3% Rebate on all gas after that; 1% Rebate on all other purchases.

Complete Reward Program Terms and Conditions will be provided upon establishing an account. Certain restrictions and limitations apply.

This is THE one to get as I've been looking at this one. And since GAS is a major purchase I do every week (gas @$3.50/gallon 91 octane here in So Calif), and the rest is 1% purchases, I'll take it.

Hey Selphiras,

Thanks for posting about Discover's 5% offer! Since this account is paid off I had no reason to go to their website.

I just signed up for it because JCPenney is one of the merchants listed (my budgeted bi-monthly haircut is at their hair salon).

shirehobbit