Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Any idea how the company stock rule works if the stock has lost value? (I tried looking at IRS Pub 575 on-line but am having trouble acccessing the site -- will try again later).

Anyway, the company I have been consulting for over the past year has put about $4000 of company stock into my 401k account. The account is now only worth about $3000, however. These stock shares are the only monies in the account -- I did not put in any $ of my own because all the investment options the company offered have a history of greatly underperforming the S&P.

The project I was hired for has been completed, so will be leaving that company at the end of November. I want to ultimately move the $3000 worth of stock into my Roth IRA. If I transfer the company stock directly to a regular IRA, liquidate it for cash, then do a Roth conversion I will of course owe regular income tax on the approx $3000 value at the time of the conversion.

But my question is, can I take the lump-sum distribution of the stock, then get a 1099 from the company showing a negative $1000 "net unrealized appreciation" between the original $4000 cost of the shares and their current $3000 value? This loss could then presumably be applied against my 1999 taxes, and I would have the $3000 worth of stock to sell so I could put $2000 into my Roth as a year 2000 contribution and the remaining $1000 in as a contribution the following year.

Anyway, any advice or information you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.