Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools. I am a Type I who recently switched from NPH to Lantus and was wondering if any of you had stories (positive or negative) about your experiences with the medicine.

I've heard from people who've gained/lost weight, had more/less lows, etc. I just thought I'd pose this question and see what I get.

Curiously yours,

--TMFKipper
Print the post Back To Top
NPH finally screwing up enough of your nights? Take Lantus in two doses, not the once daily suggestion. One upon awakening and the other before bedtime, rather than one every 12 hours.

I find a slight drop from it, 8 hours later. The bedtime one is good for the dawn phenomenon, and the morning one is good for the late afternoon. The correct dosage is the amount needed to keep your blood sugar normal if you did not eat any food, nor take any other insulin. I find I need more during allergy season. It must be refrigerated and it cannot be mixed with other insulins when injected.

I like it.

jk
No. of Recommendations: 3
Take Lantus in two doses, not the once daily suggestion. One upon awakening and the other before bedtime, rather than one every 12 hours.

I think you meant to say, I take Lantus in 2 doses. I don't want anyone to get confused and think we were suggesting altering a doctor's prescription.

Fusie
Who recommends asking your doctor if this might be a better way to take the medication...
I think you meant to say, I take Lantus in 2 doses. I don't want anyone to get confused and think we were suggesting altering a doctor's prescription.

I meant what I said, and that is everyone is to take Lantus twice a day. Lantus is not designed to be taken once in 24 hours and it is ineffective when done so.
No. of Recommendations: 5
And I reiterate no one should change the medical directions prescribed by their doctor without first consulting their doctor. You may be absolutely right about your position on this drug, but no one should substitute this board for the care of their physician.

Fuskie
Who thinks we can all benefit from personal experiences and opinions but has to caution against anyone altering a legal prescription without first consulting their doctor or at least a pharmacist...
Thanks guys. I wouldn't change my dosage without consulting the doctor first -- especially since I've only been on Lantus for three days!

I figure I'll give it a bit longer to settle in -- I've had some big swings thus far -- and then go from there.

-TMFKipper
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've had some big swings thus far

Be sure to read the drug info that came with your medications. It should explain what side effects are normal and what effects warrant notifying your doctor.

Fuskie
Who notes you can also look up the drug on WebMD's Drug Guide...

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/index-drugs.aspx
I've had some big swings thus far -- and then go from there.

How much do you take?
"I figure I'll give it a bit longer to settle in -- I've had some big swings thus far -- and then go from there. "

if this keeps up, you might want to try Levemir, same class of stuff from a different company. if you read the literature closely i think you'll find it has a somewhat lower rate of hypoglycemic events than Lantus. my feeling is Lantus is more effectively marketed by its drug reps. the doc is just gonna go with what's been talked up the most unless you present the option if you are fed up with what you've got. good luck.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"And I reiterate no one should change the medical directions prescribed by their doctor without first consulting their doctor. You may be absolutely right about your position on this drug, but no one should substitute this board for the care of their physician.

Fuskie
Who thinks we can all benefit from personal experiences and opinions but has to caution against anyone altering a legal prescription without first consulting their doctor or at least a pharmacist..."

you are really lucky that you have a physician in whom you have such confidence. that is, in my experience, rare. my experience, and that of the few really gifted docs that i have discussed this with, is that most docs don't actually really know much about diabetes. controlling it is not a simple formula and the patients are not generally in good compliance, and so the whole thing is really probably not worth the average physician's serious effort (in their mind). actually, the best thing to do is to not have much confidence in your physician and try to get your head around the problem by understanding it yourself. for type 1, this is actually not too difficult. if you can look at the problem from that level, you can generally take charge of it yourself and at least aggressively pursue your alternatives. take the view that all you need the doc for is his/her signature. especially in the case of type 1, you can generally get to the point where you will know more than the average, probably your, physician and take charge.
My doc started me on 20 units daily (I was taking about 38 units of NPH before the change). She wants me to take Lantus at bedtime, which is getting me pretty low in the mornings.

I don't miss the middle-of-the-night lows, though. But, like I said, I'm only on day 3 :)

-TMFKipper
My doc started me on 20 units daily (I was taking about 38 units of NPH before the change). She wants me to take Lantus at bedtime, which is getting me pretty low in the mornings.

That's the 8 hour hit I see too. I find the lows from Lantus to creep up on you because of the slow response.

I take 7 in the morning and bedtime. It's was 4 twice, but my allergies kill me. I don't use Lantus to manage anything but the basal needs, so it never gets me too low.
No. of Recommendations: 2
you are really lucky that you have a physician in whom you have such confidence.

Maybe I am. But I have always believed it was my responsibility as a patient to make sure I got the doctor I trusted, who communicated with me, and who I could talk to if I had questions. I think everyone should demand that their our doctors.

Fuskie
Who thinks we give give doctors the right to dictate care when do not demand their attention...
Who thinks we give give doctors the right to dictate care when do not demand their attention...

The doctor I had when I was diagnosed said that I had to take care of this myself. He could not possibly provide the detailed care required. He could review the overall progress, and make suggestions but everything was up to me.

Trusting the doctor's opinion and communication is not the issue. It is one of who can better manage the disorder, and it is not the doctor.
Trusting the doctor's opinion and communication is not the issue. It is one of who can better manage the disorder, and it is not the doctor.

Agreed!!! While I trust my doctor I am living with this disease every hour of every day and he is not.

Norm
I am living with this disease every hour of every day

There's one thing I have always wished for, that is to take a vacation from this.

At least some of the cure stories actually sound like they can happen within the next five years.
While I try and take a realistic and rationale approach to this whole thing, I must say that the thought of a cure is so exciting. Diabetes has become part of my life, but I know I wouldn't miss it one bit. :)

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I'm quite happy with my endocrinologist -- and I'm having a good Lantus day (finally)!

-TMFKipper
"At least some of the cure stories actually sound like they can happen within the next five years. "

i believe everything in that timeframe will involve immune suppression drugs which will be no treat either. eventually other options will exist, but that's probably quite a bit furhter down the road.
i believe everything in that timeframe will involve immune suppression drugs which will be no treat either. eventually other options will exist, but that's probably quite a bit furhter down the road.

There's a time lag between the understanding and the market, but the current studies will likely be moved through quickly because of the benefits.

They already can get the body to regenerate beta cells and they are looking to target the immune suppression so we do not end up dying from cancer or pneumonia.
No. of Recommendations: 6
While I trust my doctor I am living with this disease every hour of every day and he is not.

I think both of you are misunderstanding me. Of course we live with this disease every day. The pin pricks are a routine reminder. And yes, of course we are the ones most in tune with how our body is reacting to diet, exercise and even medications. But a doctor is trained to understand how these things work together and affect the disease.

No, a doctor can not be with us 24 hours a day. But when the doctor says this medication will boost insulin production and to take it once a day at breakfast, then I am not going to ignore that advice. I did not go to medical school and I do not have the background to understand the research behind the drugs.

Now if I hear that someone recommends taking a drug twice a day instead of the prescribed once a day, I will ask my doctor about that. He may say give it a try, or he may say I should stick with the current regimen. If I do not understand the reasons for his directions, it is my fault for not asking why. But I am not going to change my dosage just because someone says it worked for them.

Fuskie
Who does not expect his health to be delivered to him on a silver platter, but thinks if you and your doctor do not share your best interests, it is time to find a doctor who does...