Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
on this bus? :-)

I notice a lot of current and former correspondents and friends!

Cheers
Greg
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Gregoire le Roi!!!! Sure enough, climb on!!! Glad to see you! How is your piglet?? Hey, I'm going to be in the San Diego area for a few days next month. If Cliff lets me out of bed long enough, (and providing I can still walk) maybe we could all have a little brew together????

*!*

p.s. Have you seen OB's Rogues Gallery?
No. of Recommendations: 9
Gregoire le Roi!!!! Sure enough, climb on!!! Glad to see you! How is your piglet?? Hey, I'm going to be in the San Diego area for a few days next month. If Cliff lets me out of bed long enough, (and providing I can still walk) maybe we could all have a little brew together????

*!*

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((cat!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I really truly miss our repartee!!!!!! :-)

The pig is fine (as are the three dogs, two bunnies, cockatiel, and fish). My wife has volunteered to take care of orphan ducks for a local wildlife organization, so now we also have anywhere from two to eight of those around also at any given time.

Hopefully you'll be down in San Diego after July 2 (or before June 21). I'll be on vacation and out of town from the 21st through July 2 (in LA for a few days and then in Washington for a week). I'll try to make sure I'm not in Alameda during your visit. I meet occasionally with kaigun for lunch (although we missed today when our plans didn't get fully finalized).

p.s. Have you seen OB's Rogues Gallery?

I've lurked here occasionally, and was doing that earlier today when I came across the pictures. They are great! The thing that really amazed me is some of the facial similarities between you and Cliff (particularly in the early years). That's what caused me to join in today. I've been trying to get my son to take a picture of me with my brewing equipment wearing my Foolish jester cap, but he refuses to do so! (saying it's a waste of film) :-)

Cheers
Greg
No. of Recommendations: 5
I really wish I could join you guys in San Diego! Sounds like you'll have a great time ;)

Dan
Dano!

Go West young man! (The lights may go out, but the sun is shining!)

What are you doing this summer??

*.*
Go West young man! (The lights may go out, but the sun is shining!)

cat

Don't forget to pack some electricity when you come down! :-)

Cheers
Greg

What are you doing this summer??
*.*

Got an offer this week but I'm trying to hold them off until I hear from another company this coming Wednesday. I hope the first company doesn't get pissed and withdraw their offer...

Dan
Hopefully you'll be down in San Diego after July 2 (or before June 21).

I'm flying to LAX July 17. Haven't decided where from there yet. (I like to think we'll get out of the airport, but you know - after 57 years it builds up a bit ;)

I've missed you too, Greg, And you're now a duckit's half-way house! That is so cute! What kind, Mallard's? Mergansers?

-.-
I'm flying to LAX July 17. Haven't decided where from there yet. (I like to think we'll get out of the airport, but you know - after 57 years it builds up a bit ;)

That's excellent! My calendar is wide open (except for the 17th, which is a possible day trip to Alameda and a homebrew club meeting that night). Keep me posted! I work downtown, but home is about 30 miles up the coast. When I'm not traveling, my schedule is quite flexible.

...And you're now a duckit's half-way house! That is so cute! What kind, Mallard's? Mergansers?

I'm not enough of a duck expert to know. Maybe they're mallards. I do know that they begin to stink as they get older. They come in a few days old, able to easily fit into a coffee cup, and leave a four or six weeks later the size of a bread box.

Here's a trivia question for you....

What's the number one predator of ducklings in Southern California?

Cheers
Greg

Cats

Cats

Naaahhh! (although I should have figured!) :-)

The answer is

(drumroll)

Fish

Cheers
Greg
No kidding! Is it all those Koy swimming over from the Orient?

Here the main predators are the Eagles.

-.-
A lot of ducks breed at local lakes that are stocked with bass and other kinds of fish that look to ducklings as an easy meal.

I was just as surprised to hear that, though!

Cheers
Greg
Oh shoot! I forgot I was talking to my spelling teacher!
Is it KOI?
Is it KOI?

You caught it before I did. So we'll let you go this time! :-)

Cheers
GL
Dan: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

*.*
Ooops, - just got a long one from Cliff.

Catchya later, Gregs!

-.-
"Here the main predators are the Eagles"

Bald Eagles? Golden Eagles? Philadelphia Eagles?

I'm bored. Could you tell?

Pat
Ya know, if you were to add a "c" and another "m" to that title you could unscramble it and get Amynorcom.

I'm bored. Could you tell?

Pat
Ya know, If you had a friend named, say, Chris Mathews, and you wrote him a note saying "Any room, CM?", you could unscramble that and come up with Amynorcom?

That just moved into first place as the stupidest thing I ever wrote. Right ahead of the last 2 stupidest things I ever wrote.

Pat
No. of Recommendations: 6
Ya know, if you were to add a "c" and another "m" to that title you could unscramble it and get Amynorcom.

I tried it, and she never showed up. What am I doing wrong?

OB

P.S. Patrick and I drove to Baltimore yesterday and watched the O's. Two tickets, two big drinks, a chili dog, a sausage dog, one cotton candy and nachos cost us a grand total of $37.25. I was expecting over $100 because of you.... what did we do wrong?

P.S.S. The O's allow you to bring in small coolers. Next time I'll only be paying for the tickets.

P.S.S. Go Sixers! (I thought I didn't really care who won, but now I do.)
cost us a grand total of $37.25. I was expecting over $100 because of you.... what did we do wrong?

You: 1)went for the cheap seats and 2)didn't drink like a fish.
BTW, THE best place for a ballgame!

JTM (going to see the Phils play the Rays on Wed.)
JTM (going to see the Phils play the Rays on Wed.)

Look for us on the tube. We'll be the guys on the 3rd base side lower level.

JTM (not going to have to worry about crowding)
>>>cost us a grand total of $37.25. I was expecting over $100 because of you.... what did we do wrong?<<<

You: 1)went for the cheap seats and 2)didn't drink like a fish.

1) Yea, the seats were $13 each... good angle but a little high up. Still, not a bad seat in the house at Camden Yards.

2) Very true. First MLB game I can remember where I didn't have at least one brewskie. For true cost, then, just add $3.75 per beer, $4.75 if you opt for a micro-brew.

As far as bringing in a cooler... the rules say you can't bring in alcoholic beverages. But that six-pack of Barq's Cream Soda? Ha! How are they gonna know the difference???

Not that I'd ever break the rules....

No. of Recommendations: 2
"a grand total of $37.25" -Oblood on the cheap.

That's amazing!

At the outdated, ready to be torn down Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia you start out with $8.00 for the priveledge of parking. After the $15.00 cheap seats you're already over the total. After you see the beer man, soda man, hot dog man, pretzel man, then hit the can, you're in the 5th inning and down about $60.00....easy. Take it from there. Oh, and forget the cooler....no coolers allowed! It's just you, the vendors and your thinning wallet.

(Hey, you're a TMF'er (and sometimes an MF'er;) and studier of business. Did you factor in gas and depreciation on your car??? Tolls?)

Pat (Who hates The Vet and The FU Center)
No. of Recommendations: 3
CLP, two things.

1. When I was in Boston last month and attended two games with friends the tickets that were about 30 rows up even with first base were $32.00 a piece. Now Boston is an aberration in regards to ticket prices being as how they have (I believe) the smallest seating capacity in both leagues, in combination with a very high payroll. But, I still side with O-blood when it comes to this issue.

2. I noticed a standup that ESPN was doing in front of the FU Center and noticed a big "Spectrum" across the side. I thought the FU Center was different than the old spectrum, or did the new arena just appropriate the name for themselves?

Shiranai.
(Hey, you're a TMF'er (and sometimes an MF'er;) and studier of business. Did you factor in gas and depreciation on your car??? Tolls?)

Pat... my mistake. I believe I did not add in my parking. So toss another $6 on my total.

I didn't factor gas or tolls, because that's going to be different for everyone.

When D.C. finally steals the Expos from Montreal, it'll be a lot better for me.

Goooooo Senators!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Shiranai yo,

You get an "F" for not reading all of my posts. It was explained in an earlier post that the Rectum still stands and the FU Center is right across the street. I see also that you have chosen the losing side and gone with a person who doesn't count parking and gas and tolls and depreciation and amortization of his vehicle and the fact that he's cheap and brings a cooler of beer disguised as root beer. May you one day attend a Sixers game and sit in the lower level!

"When D.C. finally steals the Expos from Montreal" -a cheap man.

Yeah, like they did with the 1971 San Diego Padres, who are still the San Diego Padres, which leads to this little story:

When I was a kid I collected baseball cards and had shoe boxes full of them. The Padres were going to move to D.C. and become the Washinton Senators, so Topps created these cards with the Padres players in Padres uniforms and the team at the top of the card was the Washinton Senators. The Padres never moved and these cards became obsolete (read: VALUABLE!). Well, we all know how worthless baseball cards were back then, so one day when my mom was cleaning the basement she threw them all away. This pains me to say, but among those 30 year old cards buried in a landfill, and including the obsoleted Senators' cards, were some future Hall of Famers, many rookie cards, at least 6 or 7 Tom Seaver cards and a "Henry Aaron Becomes All Time Home Run King" BEFORE he became the All Time Home Run King.

I can't type any more.

Pat

Au contraire, mon frere!

I did read your post, that is why I asked the question. I understand that the FU center and the "Rectum" are two entirely different buildings, which is when I saw the talking heads standing in front of a large arena that had First Union's Logo on the side I was confused because I also saw a big sign (multi-colored) that said Spectrum. Hence my question.

I also have a Phillies story to tell.

In 1997, I took a vacation with a tour group that specializes in baseball. We would visit 10 cities in 10 days and see 10 different games. We stopped in Philly on August 1st of that year for a get-away day game featuring the Cardinals and the newly acquired Mark McGwire. The Phillies group sales person actually came down to where we were sitting and gave everyone in the group a Phillies cap. I am wearing it right now. In no other town did this occur. Remember back a few years ago there was a fan of a team that was threatening to move if they didn't get a stadium (I think it was the Giants). Anyway, this fan wrote a letter to the other 27 (at the time) baseball teams requesting information about becoming a fan of that team. The Phillies were the only ones to reply by sending him a personalized letter from the GM, a cap and concession tickets for when he visited. Ever since my experience, coupled with the other fan's experience, I have cheered for the Phillies. At least in this area, many teams could learn.

Shiranai.
When I was a kid I collected baseball cards and had shoe boxes full of them. The Padres were going to move to D.C. and become the Washinton Senators, so Topps created these cards with the Padres players in Padres uniforms and the team at the top of the card was the Washinton Senators. The Padres never moved and these cards became obsolete (read: VALUABLE!).

You are incorrect, Sir.
The Padres were not going to be renamed the Senators after the move. They had yet to decide the name. When Topps printed the 1974 cards, it was the first year of printing the whole year in one series. They didn't have the luxury of waiting until the move occurred to start printing. So they began the print run with the players in their godawful uni's with the team name "WASHINGTON" across the top and "NAT'L LEA." along the bottom(for National League). Soon after, the move was blocked by the commish (by 'mutual agreement') and the Wash N.L. was replaced by San Diego Padres. Value of the common cards are around $2.50, with the Team Card ~$7.50, McCovey ~$20.00 and Dave Winfield's rookie at ~$150-200.

If you'd like to see what the cards look like:
http://www.myitem.com/viewimage.html?ctg=11&image=540244806.jpeg

My apologies to the board for Patrick's blatant inaccuracies.

You're welcome.

JTM (former(?) stupid baseball card geek)
Hey, I was 13 years old, JTM! YES, it DID say Nat'l League, NOT The Senators! I remembered looking at all these guys on the Padres whose cards didn't say Padres, though! Not TOO bad for 30 friggin' years ago! And I ASSUMED they'd be valuable. But hear this: I DID have shoeboxes full of cards, and they WERE from about 1969 on. I know this because I moved to this area in that year and began my collection then.

Alright, so I'm not a fact checker, but can you imagine the value of that collection today??? THOUSANDS of cards! All kinds of rookie cards! Hall of Famers! Hank friggin' Aaron! Willie friggin' Mays! Tom friggin' Seaver (at least 6 or 7 of him alone....remembering that the Mets pack was always the thickest, and getting an inordinate amount of Seavers, Koosmans, Matlacks, Staubs etc...).

Yes, it's painful to say, but I do forgive my mom for throwing them out because, well, she's my mom. However, had it been one of my SISTERS....

Pat (Who coulda' been retired on blown allowance money, but has nothing but cavities to show for it)
So they began the print run with the players in their godawful uni's...

There is nothing redeeming about those uniforms, other than the fact we'll never see anything worse. Except for maybe those Astros uniforms:
http://www.eliteentertainment.net/ryanexpress/astros.html

Or maybe those beer-league softball uniforms (and shorts!) worn by the White Sox.
<picture not available>

OB
Not TOO bad for 30 friggin' years ago!

Uhmmm.... actually it was 27 years ago.

JTM (who distinctly remembers trading the Mike Schmidt cards with 3 guys on it for the newer version.)
There is nothing redeeming about those uniforms, other than the fact we'll never see anything worse. Except for maybe those Astros uniforms:
http://www.eliteentertainment.net/ryanexpress/astros.html

Or maybe those beer-league softball uniforms (and shorts!) worn by the White Sox.
<picture not available>

OB

OB, The HOF has a room with uniforms representing eras and styles. It was one of my favorite displays. If you haven't been, go. I know Shira-na-na has.

JTM