Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Folks!

For anyone in San Francisco, or knowledge of the city, perhaps you could share some thoughts?

I'll be going to San Francisco for a weekend in April. The two things I want to do are both on the Saturday of that weekend, but I'm not sure my plan is doable.

I want to be able to find a place where I can get authentic Dim Sum (where they come around with carts and you choose what you want, and the punch your check with the selections), as well as a visit to Muir Woods.

I'm not sure if the logistics will make this possible. Can I find a Dim Sum restaurant like I described that's open until late in the afternoon?

Can I take an Uber from the hotel, which is near the airport, to Muir Woods? And if so, can I get an Uber back? My understanding is that there's no wifi once you're there, so transportation back could be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tony
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Use the BART to get into the city. Fast and efficient and cheap.

Don't know any dim sum places, but I'm sure there are many. I do know a good Filipino place (though the neighborhood is a bit dodgy).

I'd probably rent a car to go to Muir Woods (a worthy trip, too!). You wouldn't have to worry about cell signals in that event and it's probably cheaper for a day rental than a round-trip Uber/Lyft.

1poorguy
If you are near the airport you might want to go to Daly City to a restaurant called Koi Palace for some excellent dim sum. We have a Koi Palace near us in the East Bay that has long lines every meal time....mostly Asians...and it isn't cheap, but it's good. The one closer ( but not close) to the airport is in Serramonte Plaza, 365 Gellert Blvd, Daly City, 94015 Tel: 650 992-9000 A reservation would be wise.

In SF, in the financial area, we used to go to Yank Sing...yes to the carts and lots of advice...but more geared to Caucasians. Not cheap.
Here's just one review I COPIED from the web....

Share review
Embed review
9/4/2019
3 photos
1 check-in
STEPH JUDGEMENT: Haters can hate, but there's much to recommend this bougie dim sum place.

After trekking around Muir Woods in north SF my friends and I were starving and looking for places to eat. We were really craving dim sum but were getting back to the city a little too late for all the good Chinatown places. Lo and behold, we learned that this placed had extended dim sum service hours! Being located right by the Embarcadero, I'm sure they have to cater to all the non-Chinese tourists, of which we were three. Located in the Rincon Center, it's a large, beautiful restaurant, and was doing brisk business on a Saturday afternoon. We dove right in with the dim sum carts, of course, but noticed that the wait staff spoke English and we could request things off the menu! Another benefit of the place catering to non-traditional Chinese: actual vegetarian dim sum items. Their spinach dumplings were the bomb! We ordered our fill and were impressed by the quality of the food. It might not be as authentic as some of the Chinatown restos, but we thought it was still pretty damn good. So here's the downside: the prices are definitely higher. However, when you take in the quality of the atmosphere, service and food, we thought it was totally worth it. I'd go back in a heartbeat!
Photo of Yank Sing - San Francisco, CA, United States. their xlb was pretty legit!

(The photos did not copy for this board)

MALAOSHI continues
DH and I go to all sorts of little dim sum and Chinese restaurants locally ( we are in a very new but Asian area) but I always have to ASK for tripe, chicken feet, pig's feet etc....they never roll those things to Caucasian tables....but I don't know which little hole in the wall in the city to recommend to you...sorry.

Hope you find something you like....dim sum can be a joy! Maybe before April I can find you the perfect place close to your hotel and report back to you....

Maryanne
No. of Recommendations: 3
https://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/index.htm

Reservations are required for Muir Woods.
There is no wi-fi or cell service. I have no idea how expensive Uber would be. It won't be possible to schedule an Uber back from the park but you maybe able to schedule an Uber to pick you up at a specified time.
Normally dim sum is a breakfast-lunch thing. Even if it was available, I'd avoid eating dim sum after 2PM as it's likely not fresh.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 3
Take Bart from SFO to someplace in SF, such as Union Square (touristy shopping & cable cars).
From there take an Uber to Chinatown (Dragon Gate).
As you walk north on Grant Ave (the main street in Chinatown) there are several good places to eat, especially on the west side of the street that are good for Dim Sum.

Going to Muir Woods = car rental IMO.
I looked at an Uber estimator and it is $30-$40 one way.
And, of course it will be one way since it is doubtful you can easily get back.
Plus with a rental you can stop at the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

If a rental not ideal you could try a tour, such as from Gray lines (and others). They go from SF to Muir Woods and back for about $70. But you have to check the schedules.

All else fails you can try one of the several hop-on hop-off bus tours of SF.
There are also many walking tours. I just did one of these (for free) because I had Expedia points expiring. Check out Expedia "things to do" tab...over 500 things to do in SF from about $5 to $5000.

Mike
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thank you, Maryanne!

This is SO helpful!

Tony
Didn't even think about renting a car--great idea! Thank you!

Tony
Thanks veg!

I didn't realize this! The times we've gone in the past were always on a tour. So glad to know this!

Tony
Thank you Mike!

Awesome suggestions! I'm so glad I posted here!

Tony
No. of Recommendations: 4
Didn't even think about renting a car--great idea! Thank you!

Tony

---------------------

Tony, if you do rent a car, then I can highly recommend the official San Fran Scenic Drive. I did this years ago and it is great. It is a 49 mile loop that takes you by and through all the major attractions. The route signs are easy to follow and since it is a loop, you can jump in anywhere and later you end up right back where you jumped on.

I liked the leisurely pace of it. Some things you could just admire as you drive through, others you could park, stay for a while and check out on foot, eg Haight Asbury, Balboa Park, Seal Rock, the Presidio, lots more.

Check out this link

https://www.sftodo.com/sanfrancisco/scenic-49-mile-drive/
I liked the leisurely pace of it. Some things you could just admire as you drive through, others you could park, stay for a while and check out on foot, eg Haight Asbury, Balboa Park, Seal Rock, the Presidio, lots more.

----------------

Oops. Scratch Balboa Park and make that Golden Gate Park.

Balboa Park is great too but you have to be in San Diego to really enjoy it.
Another great suggestion!

Thank you, Mike!
Yank Sing is THE dim sum place. I think I dropped $115 lunch for 4.

Also some good ramen shops. Don’t forget to take a cable car ride to the pier and get some chowder in a sourdough bread bowl and listen to the seals bark.
If you decide to take BART from SFO airport to San Francisco, then get off BART at the Montgomery Street station:

1. and walk about 4 short blocks North to Dragon's Gate entrance to Chinatown

2. and walk about 3 short blocks East to Yang Sing

I lived in SF for 3 years and worked in the Financial District from 1972 to 2005. I know the city very well. My favorite restaurant in the city is Tadich Grill. There are hundreds of unique and interesting sights to see in SF. But you will never find them unless you live or work in the city for years.

jaagu
Rather late to the party, but it's a long time until April, so I'll suggest you go see Beach Blanket Babylon https://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/. I'm sure there are those who find the idea of a show like this unpalatable, but we enjoyed it immensely.

I copied their "about" from the site:
Beach Blanket Babylon, San Francisco’s hilarious political and pop culture musical revue, is the perfect night. Celebrating nearly 17,000 performances and seen by 6.5 million people from around the world, this internationally acclaimed production continues to delight audiences at Club Fugazi in San Francisco’s North Beach district with its spectacular costumes and outrageously gigantic hats!

Beach Blanket Babylon follows Snow White as she takes a fast-paced journey around the world in search of her “Prince Charming.” Along the way she encounters a star-studded, ever-changing line-up of hilarious pop culture characters, including Donald and Melania Trump, Nancy Pelosi, Kim Jong-un, Elizabeth Warren, Stormy Daniels, Vladimir Putin, Freddie Mercury, Bernie Sanders, Lady Gaga, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ivanka Trump, Barack and Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Taylor Swift, Oprah, and the San Francisco Giants.

We went the first time in the early-'90s and thought it was hilarious. Be aware that the performers are all or almost all in drag.
We were scheduled to fly to San Francisco tomorrow for a week, but life interfered and the trip had to be cancelled. We are sorely disappointed that we must miss the show.

Chili
Nevermind. I just read that it is closing on New Year's Eve after 45 years.

Dang.