Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are trying to clean out the house and garage. We've got a serious pile of stuff to go through, with much of it having some value - say $10-$50 per item.

Rather than put on multiple garage sales, or hold everything for one big sale, I've starting listing things on eBay. So far, so good. I got 7 items listed last week, with 3 of them selling.

What is killing me is shipping. I spent a huge amount of time hunting down appropriate packaging - mostly searching through the collection of boxes in the garage, but I did end up making a trip to the store for one item. The actual packing is pretty quick, but then there's the time getting the box addressed and posted.

The kitchen scale is fine for weights, but paying for the postage through ebay is painful. I ended up locking up the paypal account with too many wrong passwords - I know the password, or at least thought I did. So I switched to my business postage account. That takes longer, as I have to type in the addresses. Then I ran out of postage and managed to lock up that account as well because it tried to use an expired credit card. (I don't have to refill it very often, and the card had expired since the last fill.)

I've wasted an hour with this garbage and still have to call Pitney Bowes in the morning to get my account unlocked so I can get the third package shipped.

How do you all deal with shipping without spending huge amounts of time? I've got a couple hundred items that might sell over the next few months, but at this rate I'll pull all my hair out and punch a few holes in the walls in frustration at the time wasted in shipping.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Selling Online FAQ
Getting started, pricing, shipping, etc.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.