Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Unemployment rates from Dec 2019 to Dec 2020 in states with governor of Party A increased by so much more than unemployment rates states with governor of Party B?

Dec 2019 , before Covid crisis Party A's average UR was 3.79, Party B's 3.41.
Dec 2020 , after Covid crisis Party A's average UR was 6.96 (up 83%), Party B's was 5.09 (up 49%).

I guess Party B didn't have governor's that were falsifying data in order to help with their book deal advance.

BTW: I excluded a Party A state that went from 2.6% in Dec 2019 to 10.3% in Dec 2020. I doubt even a Republican governor could have prevented a carnage in HI. Opps I let it slip what which was which.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
There are many ways to slice data to get a result you want.
When you think about COVID impact on unemployment there is no doubt that the attitude of the states governor is somewhere in the mix, but you have to dig deeper to to infer that that is the sole cause

As you rightly point out, Hawaii is an outlier because of its tourist dependent economy and the same is true of Florida. Of the remainder it I would argue that population density is the base underlying cause and it just so happens that these states have large metro areas which tend to be democratic.

If you slice the data another way, you will see that Democratic Governors with republican state houses did the best of all.

Or that the first 25 states alphabetically fared much worse that the latter 25. Suppose that you could use that logic to move from Alabama to Wyoming
No. of Recommendations: 4
Bob, Maybe you are right.

Maybe the party that controls the State Legislature really controls things.

Washington DC included in legislature counts.

Dems control 20 legislatures unemployment more than doubled (104.7%) from Dec 2019 to Dec 2020.
Reps control 31 legislatures unemployment rose by 45.8%.

There are 3 states where the Governor is Rep and the SL Dem unemployment rose by 104.7%.
The 17 states where Dems control both unemployment rose by 104.7%, yes the same, weird.
The 7 states where governor is Dem and SL is Rep unemployment rose by on 56.3%.
The 24 states where Reps control both unemployment rose by 42.3%.

Things are really bad when Dems control everything.

BTW: Democrats are PARTY A in the original post.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Maybe the party that controls the State Legislature really controls things.

Nope I did not say that
I said the best result was when you had a democratic governor with a republican controlled legislature. Why this should be so I have no idea, but the set is so small that I would guess that it is statistically insignificant.

What I did suggest was that a population density was more significant than leadership. The two are linked in that democrats tent to govern the states with the largest population clusters. The reason I believe that this is more significant is that higher population has more interconnected parts and this is more sensitive to disruption and I believe that this is more significant than anything the governor or legislature does with respect to unemployment.

So in the spirit of ignoring the inconvenient facts, the economy under democratic leadership has far outperformed the same under republican leadership. Since the onset of the modern economy that is post WWII that factor is approaching 200%. Conclusion, republicans are terrible at managing the economy