Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any thoughts?

Yes, your post is extremely confusing.

Can you just move the stocks you want to convert over to the Roth and pay taxes on the current value. Thus keeping the stocks own intact.

Yes, and this is the sensible way to do it.

Forget the rest of Point 1.

2) Then again, it might be better to just save up the money and start a New Roth account. The annual contribution would be the same for total Roths, but you still end up with more Roth(s) then by just having one that you can only $5000 annually. Then you don't loose money that could be earning more to taxes by the conversion.

There is a penalty for over-contributing to an IRA account (Roth or Traditional)

This Publication should answer your IRA questions, but return to this great board, if you still have questions

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.