No. of Recommendations: 0
Any two bodies locked in an orbit rotate around a common barycenter:...

Both objects in an orbit are stretched along both sides.
Their natural rest state is in a higher, slower orbit. This causes the far side of the object to bulge outwards as it attempts to escape into this higher orbit.

Yup, that's the explanation I was trying to get out.

Why don't all these people trying to explain tides explain it the way _you_ just did intead of all that gobbledygook about the moon's gravity attracting the water, and then some vague handwaving to explain the tide opposite the moon?

You did it is just two sentences, and it is completely understandable.
Thanks.

(I was much older than a kid when I got interested in orbital mechanics.)

---------
FWIW, I looked up slingshot maneuver, and I now understand it. The spacecraft steals momentum from the planet/star to impart the sideways delta-vee.
Still don't quite grasp why doing an impulse acceleration at the deepest part (closest approach) gives a multiplicative boost. Gonna have to read and re-read that a few times. It's been a long time since I messed with integrals.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.