No. of Recommendations: 0
I bought some of this on the theisis that it was one of the stronger retail REITs and that it would. That it has been knocked down so much also gives my money a decent dividend that doesn't seem to be in danger.

Ever since that $18 entry point it has been pretty much on a slow slide. Now in the $16's and I am wondering if I should add another bit of this stock. (I only bought a third of what I would normally because I wanted to see how it went.)

So...anyone cost averaging or am I just concidering a falling knife here?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
KIM bottomed in late April at $13.16. It has been going up for a couple of months now, so it is far from a falling knife in my opinion.

I made a few purchases of KIM earlier this year, but have sold all in the $16's, except for what I bought my mother.

As of yesterday, I sold the last of my CBL and WPG, so I am totally out of retail REITs currently.

However, I wonder how the July 1st DDR spin-off will play out and will be looking for opportunities there.
I sold a bit of KIM last week, but am holding the rest for a while.
Hi Valuemongeragain,

Regarding your statement:

"As of yesterday, I sold the last of my CBL and WPG, so I am totally out of retail REITs currently."

Why did you sell out of the sector?

Are you taking your profits now in expectation it will dip down again? Or did it simply meet a standard profit threshold you follow? Or...?

Thanks in advance!

-srockaz
No. of Recommendations: 1
I didn't buy on the absolute low, but established few call position around $15 and I am going to let them run, the stock is still in uptrend. Again a short-term position. My retail REIT pick is BRX, that I am planning to hold for a long-time.
No. of Recommendations: 3
srockaz,

Every company/stock, industry, or asset class has it strengths and weaknesses.

1. Retail, both retailers and their REIT landlords, have in my opinion more than their fair share of problems. In February when I purchased ten REITs (five of them retail), their prices more than made up for their problems. Today, when they are 20-40% higher, I am no longer sure that is the case.

2. It appears to me that rates are still going up, yet REITs seem to go up most days while the broader market falls.

3. I am finding more bargains elsewhere as REITs rise and a lot of non-REITs fall.

As far as it meeting a standard profit threshold, I don't have any standard threshold, but when I've made 20-40% profits in cap gains and dividends in a tax-free account, I will take some profits especially when I am finding bargains elsewhere.
No. of Recommendations: 2
2. It appears to me that rates are still going up, yet REITs seem to go up most days while the broader market falls.

You really need to study the advance decline line. The S&P, the Russell 2000, and the Nasdaq (forget the Dow) are all showing the true picture:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/21/the-bull-case-for-stocks-in-...