Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone been to any of the following Florida campgrounds?: Destin, the Keys, or the KOA at alligator point?

Hello hammerdwn,
I used to live in the Keys so I am somewhat familiar with the area though not all the campgrounds specifically. I'm more familiar with the middle and lower keys (Marathon thru Key West) than the upper keys. Also I haven't lived there for 5 years. The only campground in the upper keys I know is Long Key State park.I have never stayed there, but since the hurricane A lot of the trees in the campground on the beach are gone, so the summer might not be good. Speaking of which anytime in the summmer is going to be hot and bugey. Bahia Honda SP is nice abouot 35 miles North/East of Key West nice beach often rated in the top ten or twenty in the country. If you do go there look at the Sandspur camping area (at least that's what it used to be called) its located on the Atlantic side of the island. Moving west about 5 miles is the Big pine fishing camp has a marina and a swimming pool I think not much shade though. Another 10 miles west (closer to Key West) is a KOA on Sugarloaf Key nice place has a boat ramp and really rocks on St. Patty's day typical private campgound as far as privacy for tent camping. If you want to be right near Key West if its still there on Stock Island (key just east of Key West) is Boyd's campground a word of warning it is located in a not so good area and the jets from NAS fly over most of the day. Well this turned out a lot longer than I intended and if hurricane Debby has her way may all be for naught, but if you have any further questions let me know.
Hope this helps,
Brian
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.