Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My doctor recommended that I take Ambrotose - I have been diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue. This manifests as extremely low blood pressure - "normal" for me is 89/62 - when I have an "episode" it drops to around 62/48 and I am a zombie. To keep this under control I have to follow a very strict regimen of high protien, plenty of sleep, lots of water, excercise, and faithfully taking the Ambrotose. I tried to cut this out when I was feeling better - thinking that it was really just good nutrition and taking better care of myself that was helping - but after just a few days without the Ambrotose I was back in zombieland and it took me a couple of weeks to get back to functional.

Anyway - just wonder if others have heard of Mannatech and what's your opinion. I'd love to be convinced that the benefits are all in my head as I'd much rather use that money to buy Hidden Gems ;-) So far, though - the evidence for me at least points to the effectiveness of the product.

Any suggestions for less expensive alternatives would also be greatly appreciated.

Vyckie
Print the post Back To Top

Vyckie,

I haven't heard of this product. Is Ambrotose a nutritional supplement?

Actually, I've read of Adrenal Fatigue before but don't know anything about it or what causes it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully, others here will have more info.

Good Luck, MG
No. of Recommendations: 2
My doctor recommended that I take Ambrotose - I have been diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue.

I don't know this product -- I looked at the ingredients on-line....I'm somewhat familiar with some, not with others.

I also don't really understand "Adrenal Fatigue." It's not a recognized diagnostic category, so there's nothing of any sort in the medical literature.

In googling it, I found www.adrenalfatigue.org. Thought at first it's a patient advocacy/support group, but it isn't. It's the website for Dr. James Wilson (doctor of chiropractic medicine, naturopathic physician, and PhD), the person who coined the term Adrenal Fatigue. He calls it the reaction to prolonged modern-day high-stress and sells a bunch of products he developed, audio cassettes, etc. He has a diet program, a book, all sorts of things.

To be honest, my suggestion would be to see a different doctor--get another perspective/opinion/diagnosis as to what's causing your problems, and what may be helpful.

sheila
I have some alternate suggestions for Adrenal Fatigue. I have taken a supplement by Enzymatic Therapy called "Adren-Comp". I get it from VitaminLife.com. This helps support the adrenal gland.

I also take L-Theanine which helps alleviate the stress and keep the adrenal gland from staying in overdrive. My naturopath told me to take 200 mg 2x a day, or up to 4x a day as needed. You can get this from VitaminLife.com, also - made by NOW Foods in 100 mg capsules or several other brands available.

Ambrotose sounds like a "healing sugar" of some sort. I don't know much about it.

My little sister had it so bad it turned into "Addison's Disease", which is considered "Adrenal Failure" rather than just "Fatigue". She has to take cortisol every day now. Don't let this get the best of you!

Good luck!!!

Julie
I just read the Ambrotose data sheet - it has Quercetin in it which is a good antioxidant but can also be purchased separately. Many L-Theanine products have the green tea in them, also.

I'm curious - I see the recommend dosage is 1 capsule twice a day - so 240 capsules should last you 4 months. To me, the price of $142 for a four-month supply doesn't really sound bad at all!

Julie
Thanks for all the helpful responses to my post. It might be helpful to give a little more information as to my situation and what my doctor actually told me.

I am 39, mother of 7 wonderful children ages 19 to 2. I have had 5 c-sections (1st for doctor's convenience, next two scheduled repeats, fourth an attempted homebirth that was a miserable failure resulting in yet another c-section, 5th a homebirth - don't ask me why I would do such a thing but, thank the Lord the delivery was uncomplicated though very long - 48+ hours, 6th a hospital VBAC - vaginal birth after cesarean - just four hours of labor and very easy delivery, with my 7th I fully expected to have another uncomplicated delivery and was actually planning an unattended birth with just my neighbor to catch the baby - but when my water broke I *knew* something was not right and decided to go to hospital where I was given a 5th c-section and it was discovered that I had a partial uterine rupture.)

Also, I have Multiple Hereditary Exostosis (MHE) - bone growths like spurs in all of my joints, on my ribs, etc. This is a inherited thing and three of my daughters have the same condition. I have had two surgeries to remove 18 spurs when I was a teenager.

When I was young, we moved around A LOT due to my step-father's illegal activities. When we moved to a new community, if my mother decided we might stay long enough to enroll us in school, she would not provide any history and could not prove that I had already been vaccinated so in order to start school I would have to receive ALL of the vaccinations again - we did this probably a dozen times before I finally quit school in 10th grade. (I did later earn my diploma and went on to college.)

The symptoms I've experienced (which are greatly increased during pregnancy) are low blood sugar, dangerously low blood pressure, loss of memory, fatigue, and extreme chronic pain mostly on my left side.

The doctors I've seen have basically told me that I'm just getting old and that these health problems are to be expected in someone who's had so many pregnancies. However, I have many friends who are older than me and have at least as many children as I do and they are not incapacitated - in fact, for the most part, they are in great health.

The doctor who diagnosed me with Adrenal Fatigue told me that all those vaccinations have affected my adrenal function. Also, people who have MHE are lacking one of the monosaccharides which is essential for cellular communication and the bone growths are only one manifestation of this disease. That's why he put me on the Ambrotose which contains monosaccharides.

Anyway - I've gone on way too much about me! Thanks again for your responses.

Vyckie
In googling it, I found www.adrenalfatigue.org. Thought at first it's a patient advocacy/support group, but it isn't. It's the website for Dr. James Wilson (doctor of chiropractic medicine, naturopathic physician, and PhD), the person who coined the term Adrenal Fatigue. He calls it the reaction to prolonged modern-day high-stress and sells a bunch of products he developed, audio cassettes, etc. He has a diet program, a book, all sorts of things.

Sheila - I read the book by Dr. Wilson and have been following some of his suggestions such as getting to sleep early, trying to cut out stress, etc. He has a little self-test in the book that you can take to see if you have the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue - my score was off the scale!

I haven't pursued any of his products because I've been working with my local doctor (who is an allopathic physician but also recommends natural / herbal remedies when appropriate).

To be honest, my suggestion would be to see a different doctor--get another perspective/opinion/diagnosis as to what's causing your problems, and what may be helpful.

I am not all that confident in the doctor I'm seeing, but so far he's been much better than the others I've seen who basically write me off as a worn-out, old woman who's had too many pregnancies. They did not seem at all concerned about the low blood pressure - in fact, they said it's a good thing - just eat a little more salt - until I ended up in the ER unresponsive with blood pressure of 62/48. Then they did all sorts of tests on my heart which they assure me is in good shape. Once they were satisfied that my heart is okay, they went back to recommending extra salt in my diet.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Vyckie
I have some alternate suggestions for Adrenal Fatigue. I have taken a supplement by Enzymatic Therapy called "Adren-Comp". I get it from VitaminLife.com. This helps support the adrenal gland.

Julie - thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Vyckie
I'm curious - I see the recommend dosage is 1 capsule twice a day - so 240 capsules should last you 4 months. To me, the price of $142 for a four-month supply doesn't really sound bad at all!

Julie - I am taking the Ambrotose powder which comes in a container for $113. The recommended maintenance dose is 1/2 teaspoon per day, but my doctor has me taking 3 teaspoons per day which ends up going through a container about every three weeks.

What is L-Thenine? An amino acid? Thanks again for your help.

Vyckie
What is L-Thenine? An amino acid?

Yes. It's one of the predominant amino acids in green tea, and historically it's been used to aid relaxing, counter anxiety.

I was very touched by your post revealing such difficult and personal aspects of your history. And shame on all of those doctors who dismiss you as an aging woman who's simply had too many kids. I can understand why you have some faith in your current doctor--he is listening to you, and he is trying to help you.

One thought I have is that possibly a well-trained Naturopathic Doctor would be able to offer significant help. Although they use conventional diagnostic and treatment approaches when it is appropriate, they also have a greater variety of diagnostic goals and tests, and bring many more treatment resources.

The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians has a locator tool.
http://www.naturopathic.org/. I notice that you live in Nebraska, and I checked their site -- there's one person listed, and I have no idea if he is anywhere near you (if, that is, it's a possibility you'd consider).

Randall S. Bradley, ND, DHANP
HEARTLAND NATUROPATHIC CLINIC
7447 Farnam St, Omaha, NE 68114
Phone: (402) 391-6714
Email: DrBrad2000@aol.com

If you might want to pursue this direction, and he's poorly located for you, perhaps his office could point you to a qualified medical professional closer to you.

Good luck!!!

sheila
The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians has a locator tool.
http://www.naturopathic.org/. I notice that you live in Nebraska, and I checked their site -- there's one person listed, and I have no idea if he is anywhere near you (if, that is, it's a possibility you'd consider).

Thanks for this link, Sheila. Omaha is about 2 hours from here and I'm pretty sure there is not anyone closer. I'll be calling Dr. Bradley's office on Monday ;-)

Vyckie
Yes, L-Theanine is an amino acid. It helps with stress, which can cause and/or aggravate adrenal fatigue. It is normally found in green tea, but with stress you don't want to be drinking a lot of green tea with caffeine, and you'd have to drink TONS of the green tea to get significant amounts of L-Theanine. You could drink decaffeinated green tea, and get the additional health benefits of the tea itself, but again, you'd have to drink TONS of it to get enough L-Theanine to notice a real difference.

As far as the Ambrotose, I think since that particular monosaccharide is a missing key element relevant to your condition (MHE), then you seem to need this specific sugar. Although I'm not familiar with your condition, and I'm not sure how a person could be "deficient" in something that is taken in as a food (sugar) as a hereditary condition...?

Maybe you could get by with less per day? Or could you talk with the company about a direct/bulk purchase? Just trying to brainstorm.

Julie
Have you read this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0345441079/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-5472317-5201510#reader-link

Here is a site for Mannatech.

http://www.mannatech.com/USA/SCIMannatech.asp?sMain2Menu=OurScience&sMainMenu=Company&sSubMenu=OurScience&sSubMenuItem=SCIMannatech.asp&sSubMenu2Item=na&sSubMenu3Item=na

Here is a quote from the Mannatech site.

"Mannatech's flagship product is Ambrotose® complex, a patent-pending glyconutrient blend of specific, plant-derived carbohydrates containing saccharides necessary for cellular communication. It is marketed in capsules and bulk powder as a stand-alone product and as an ingredient blend in many of the company's other products.

Glyconutritional products will play a leading role in the 21st century's emerging wellness industry. The driving determinant will be the growing realization that optimal cell-to-cell communication is one of the most critical functions of the life process and is fundamental to immune system health."

My guess is that your doctor has your best interest at heart and that most doctors are not even aware of this product. Did he report favorable results from prescribing it to other patients?

Too bad it's so expensive, but then again how much is good health worth?

"Mannatech's flagship product is Ambrotose® complex, a patent-pending glyconutrient blend of specific, plant-derived carbohydrates containing saccharides necessary for cellular communication. It is marketed in capsules and bulk powder as a stand-alone product and as an ingredient blend in many of the company's other products."

A Friendly Skeptic Looks at Ambrotose -- Part 1
http://www.cancerdecisions.com/050105.html

A Friendly Skeptic Looks at Ambrotose -- Part 2
http://www.cancerdecisions.com/050805.html

Friendly Skeptic Looks at Ambrotose -- Part 1
http://www.cancerdecisions.com/050105.html

A Friendly Skeptic Looks at Ambrotose -- Part 2
http://www.cancerdecisions.com/050805.html

Since the OP's interest in Ambrotose is for maintaining wellness, not for treating cancer -- have you come across any assessments in that context?