Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just had this company pop into my head driving yesterdday. I'm wondering if anyone is watching this one.

My thoughts are:

1. The Brand is Excellent
2. The P/E is fairly high at the moment, not sure if I missed the chance last summer to get in cheaper.

Scott
Print the post Back To Top
Well, Did you see the announcement about the $8/share dividend for holders of record 2/28 and payable on 3/5.

I just jumped in today on the 6% gain in price. I think more than one person was looking to grab that dividend.

How long do I have to hold the stock after the dividend is paid? I am managing my 401K portfolio, so I am asuming that tax wise I should be insulated. I am sure I am missing something.

Any comments?

EDAC-Loser-Boy!
Well since nobody with any brains is looking at this stock, I will reply to my own message.
The stock tanked down to 49.00 in a week after I bought it for the dividends. Buying this stock was a mistake. But, it has all its sales in the spring and summer months. Perhaps it will get close to my buy in price and I can sell for a break even point.
EDACLOSERBOY!
Wow! Not much interest in the Fool Community in this one. Not sure why though, because Scotts is THE market leader in a growing segment. I especially like their long range growth prospects with the lawn service since TruGreen holds a very strong market share but low customer satisfaction. International business can only go up as well.

In response to edacloserboy's post- The stock did not tank in February after the $8 special dividend...the market simply responded the way that it should. After $8 per share is paid out, the company's value should be that much less. I was personally happy to pocket that dividend and continue to hold the stock for the future of SMG should be bright!