No. of Recommendations: 0
Not pretty.

4.66 combined. The lowest ever. I'm glad I got mine a while back. I wouldn't consider them, now. What do others think?

http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/sav/sbiinvst.htm

nmckay
so much for free lunch
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
1.1 percent is an especially low fixed rate, though it is warranted by the current yields on TIPs. They were also constrained by the relatively high level of inflation over the past 6 months.

Given that they still let you buy the things and redeem them in a year for a 3-month interest penalty, they're still not entirely unattractive. It's hard to get 3.495 percent for a one-year commitment (yes, I know I'm assuming the rate for the next 6 months will be 4.66 as well, but even a slightly lower rate would be attractive).

They're also good tax-free investments for educational expenses, although the rules are complicated and conflict with other educational provisions like the Hope and Lifetime Learning credits.

I also was lucky enough to get as many as I wanted when the fixed rate was 3.0 percent, so I'm in no hurry to add at this level.

dan
Not pretty.

4.66 combined. The lowest ever. I'm glad I got mine a while back. I wouldn't consider them, now. What do others think?

This is bothering me, too. Since moving to this low-cost area, I've been buying a $1,000 Ibond every month with money unspent from pension. I also buy some muni bonds now and then that support the local college. Am keeping my 457 diversified until I must draw on it and am too unsure of myself to put any more into stocks right now, even though I think it is probably a good idea.

I have a good-sized emergency fund in a money market and have looked into TIPS, but that doesn't seem the answer. So, am not sure what better course to take. Am just sort of watching and waiting.

Do you have some portion of your investments in REITs?
Maybe Vanguard's REIT Index.
Do you have some portion of your investments in REITs?
Maybe Vanguard's REIT Index.

You know, I don't (unless there is a little in the ING 457 index fund) and keep meaning to look into that every time I read about REITS on this board (which is often--better write it down since my memory isn't as good as it once was). My ROTH (small amount) is in a 60/40 Vanguard stock bond split, and the reports are always so depressing I've stuck Vanguard info at the back of the filing cabinet. Should probably pull it out.

I'm wishing I had more spare cash when I bought mine in October of 2000. :(

I don't think I would pick up any at the current rates; no.

-Ortman
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm a big fan of REITs but please be selective. Office, Lodging and Housing are getting killed right now. If you head over to the REIT board, do a search for B of B (Bluest of the Blue). It's an attempt at identifying the best REITs from the many choices.

nmckay