Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20
We the topics that have developed around our shareholder proposals, we have issues that have great potential interest to American investors, and, therefore, of great potential interest to the national print, radio, TV, and web media. To take full advantage of this opportunity, we need to refine and focus our message, and package it for easy media consumption. I believe we have the potential, not only to garner support for our proposal, but also to impact the way all companies respond to shareholders and handle issues of corporate governance.

I've been close to about a dozen media events in my life and one thing I've found is that the media never gets the story quite right. There have always been factual errors, misquotes, quotes taken out of context, an unbalanced perspective, a lack of thorough reporting and/or spin that have served to give the audience an incomplete or distorted picture. That's an unfortunate reality, but something we can work with or even use to our advantage if we package and communicate our message well.

What I'm proposing for now is that we come up with a set of clear, concise quotes that can be used by any of us for interviews. Jounalists can use our thoughts to help shape their articles and any of us who get interviewed for radio or TV will be more eloquent and effective in communicating our mesage by having already rehearsed the quotes. Once our message is refined in this way, individuals on this board can reach out to all sorts of media outlets to see who is willing to help us send our message.

I'll start this thread with an attempt at a few quotes, but I'm counting on the rest of you to improve upon them and add additional ones.

On how we worked together:
"We used the internet to share ideas and build consensus."
"The result was a proposal far better than anything any one of us could have done alone."
"People with a wide range of skills worked togther to produce a complete project."

On the need for shareholder activism:
"This effort answers the question: How can shareholders take responsibility for their investments?"
"Shareholders need to have confidence that the Board of Directors is providing adequate oversight of management before they will be willing to invest in a company.
"This is a model that shareholders for any company can follow.

On our proposal:
"Management's past use of the repurchase program aroused suspicion. As shareholders it was our responsibility to get answers."
"The goal is to make sure the Board of Directors is providing adequate oversight."
"The proposal went through many revisions. In the end, support was nearly unanimous among participants."
"We are trying to get answers to our questions in the least meddlesome and most supportive way possible."
"Or proposal is not perfect in its current form, but we want to work with managment to create one that is."

I'll contribute more ideas as they come to me, but the more help we get from others, the stronger our message will be.

Rodg.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.