Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyway - currently we have 401K, Roth and 403B - but none of these are available (without heavy penalty) until we reach 59 1/2 (with the exception of the principal in the Roth).

Under certain circumstances, the 401K and the 403B can be rolled over into a conventional IRA. This usually becomes a possibility beginning when your employer either terminates the plan or becomes your FORMER employer.

Money in a conventional IRA can be converted to a Roth IRA - pay the income taxes from some other source - and then, after a five-year wait, can be withdrawn as principle.

Money in either a conventional IRA or a Roth IRA, whether principle or earnings, can be withdrawn under 72(t) "Substantially Equal Periodic Payments" rules. This may (I don't know) also be an option for 401K-like accounts.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.