Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Anyway, How much do you think you need to FIRE?

FI: $400K w/o house, $500K with house

RE: $800-1000K

I was able to live off of $16K not too long ago (29 now) and that being the case, having $400K would allow me to sell the house and be free to do whatever I want (although probably not at the lifestyle I would like, hence FI).

Currently, with the shack, I live off of about $25K (granted including employer subsidized health ins -the joker in the deck) so maintaining my standard of living would provide at least $625 with no other income.

While by conventional standards I am "doing very well" I am far from my goal of FIRE and thus don't feel so good about my position. It can be so frustrating! Who, other that these boards, can you really be honest about your position without ostracizing yourself. If my conventional peers knew my net-worth and/or income they just wouldn't understand... they would likely think "greed" was a motivator. Heck, they are the conspicuous consumers, I just want to be free. I'm starting to digress and rant; excuse me.

FoolNBlue (Future FIREe... not just a wannabe)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.