Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Anyway, I have vowed to get my investing house in order over the next year or so and was wondering what some of the people on this board do or what your overall plan is and how it is working.

I did just that this past year to some degree. I had two 401(k) accounts from previous employers and rolled those into my IRA at Vanguard. In addition to my IRA at Vanguard, I also have a SIMPLE-IRA at Vanguard and my DW has an IRA at Vanguard.

The only funds I have outside of Vanguard right now are some stocks I am still holding in an E*Trade account, although I have been thinking of moving these to Scottrade. However, I have really moved more towards investing in index funds as I realized I did not know what I was doing with selecting individual stocks.

As far as an allocation, right now we are fully invested in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund and my one IRA in the Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund. While these two really mirror each other quite closely, there are slight differences. Right now we are in an asset accumulation mode and to reduce fees, we are staying with just the one fund for right now. We are both 28 and as we get older, we will look to balance out more with some bond funds.

As far as additional investments, I am starting to research ETFs/CEFs/REITS and dividend paying stocks. At the present time, my knowledge is not high enough on any of those areas to consider investing in them but that is where I am directing my future learning to see if that can play into our plans.

dt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.