Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Anyway, that's my theory. Do you agree, or is there something i'm missing, and the Fed is actually a heluva lot smarter than they look.
UberNerd2

I can't explain it but there must be something wrong with your reasoning. Back in the LBJ, Nixon, Ford and Carter days we had stagflation, high interest rates and high inflation. Interest rates are a lot lower now and if rates are inflationary then we should have higher inflation now, but we don't, to the contrary, now that rates are lower and so is inflation. Maybe rates are not inflationary all the time, maybe there are other things working in the economy. But since the Fed only has two tools, rates and open market operations, people pay too much attention to these two things.

All this talk about inflation seems to ignore the fact that housing happens to be in deflation just now. Computers and consumer electronics have been in deflation for 30 years. Telephony has been in deflation since Judge Green broke up AT&T. Air travel has been in deflation since the industry was deregulated. The economy is a complex machinery and concentrating on one or two of its components seems to me to be a mistake.

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.