Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Anyways, if someone happens to know off the top of their head... in Part III-Partner's Share of Current Year Income, Deductions, Credits, and Other Items, section 20, I have code Z1 Gross Reciepts for UBTI, and code Z2 Gross Deduction for UBTI.
You can safely ignore that particular code. It is for tax-exempt organizations who may have invested in the partnership. They may need to pay some tax if they have too much income from these kinds of partnerships.

I'd add the caution - that's true if you own the partnership investment personally, and not in your IRA or other retirement account, e.g., a self-directed 401(k) or 403(b).

If it is in a retirement plan, the UBTI rules do apply, and if you have over $1,000 of positive UBTI
you can be subject to the tax, which is at the income rate applicable to trusts. (Corporate rates for exempt orgs.)

Worse, since the limited partnerships in question are usually publicly traded, the PTP passive loss rules apply, so you can't offset income in one partnership with losses from another.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.