No. of Recommendations: 28
Anyways, sorry if this is getting to be off topic. I wanted to post just about SHOP and PAYC but then just ended up finding an outlet the work through my current thoughts. Sorry if this post is on the edge of off-topic, but if anyone has sage counsel, I would love to hear it.

Not sure that this is sage thinking. But, this are my thoughts, for what it is worth.

I understand Saul's reasoning for a focused portfolio, and I agree with it from an anti-diversification standpoint. I could be wrong, but I have always interpreted that message as "don't diversify" as a mutual fund would. And I agree with it. These funds get so diversified that the effects of the real winners get buried unless the whole sector or index is rising together. People diversify to protect themselves from losses, by and large. But that protection also gives up the chance for significant growth as a trade off. And for a passive investor, that is probably the correct approach. (I do not use passive as the opposite of aggressive, but rather as the opposite of active.)

I believe that a focused set of stocks as Saul recommends will usually outperform the market. It also carries more risk. But, that can be largely mitigated by involvement and activity. (Not falling in love with a stock is a key part of this.) However, I think that within a focused set there is room for individuality in two areas.

One is the number of stocks that you hold. Do you have to choose between ZS and OKTA, or can you take half positions in both to get that exposure to the sector and not have to pick one or the other? Are you starting down the slippery slope to diversification? Maybe, but it is up to you to decide and control it.

The second is that I do not see anything wrong with effectively make one position effectively a basket of speculative stocks. This can get you a taste of more companies that you seem to be looking for while still keeping the vast majority of your portfolio focused on a smaller basket of potentially high growth stocks. This is where you can weed out some ideas and identify some winners. I think that Saul typically has a few small positions in speculative stocks that he is trying out.

Anyway, take this for what its worth. Just my thoughts for free, so it is worth about what you paid. Best of luck to you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.