Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

I am pretty new to Fooldom and trying to learn and understand.... One question I have is this: What is keeping AOL from being included in the list of Rule Makers? My number-crunching of AOL's recent figures through the RM Essentials spreadsheet makes it look pretty good.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie Crissman
Print the post Back To Top
What is keeping AOL from being included in the list of Rule Makers?
--- ---
I will venture an answer...
Having just completed the Rule Maker Seminar, I learned that there are several qualitative components to consider in addition to the number crunching. It's possible that AOL failed qualitatively.

Some of these qualitative points, such as:
- Dominant brand
- Repeat-purchase business
- Convenience
- Expanding possibilities

are mentioned in the RM Portfolio Introduction
http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulemaker/rulemakerintroduction.htm?ref=LN

HTH,
RJS100
No. of Recommendations: 6
What is keeping AOL from being included in the list of Rule Makers?
--- ---
Having just completed the Rule Maker Seminar, I learned that there are several qualitative components to consider in addition to the number crunching. It's possible that AOL failed qualitatively.

Some of these qualitative points, such as:
- Dominant brand
- Repeat-purchase business
- Convenience
- Expanding possibilities

This is a joke, right?

Dominant brand

And a more dominant ISP brand is....?

Repeat-purchase business

29 million subs paying $22 per month, every month by credit card doesn't count?

Convenience

Come on, say it with me. "So Easy To Use, No Wonder It's #1"

Expanding possibilities

Time Warner cable. Road Runner. Aimster. Mapquest. Netscape. Warner Music. HBO. CNN. The WB. Warner Books. Time Magazine.

Yeah, nothing there that digital downloading will have anything to do with.

OK. This was a joke, right?

Having just completed the Rule Maker Seminar

I vote you take the course again, and this time stop throwing spitballs in the back of the classroom.
ok goofyhoofy,

You want to know if my reply was a joke. NO.

In message: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14798226
a poster wanted to know why AOL is not included as a RM.
This is what I said:

Having just completed the Rule Maker Seminar, I learned that there are several qualitative components to consider in addition to the
number crunching. It's possible that AOL failed qualitatively.

Notice, the word venture.
I was simply pointing out to the newcomer to this board,
that in addition to the quantitative aspects, there are qualitative aspects as well.

Instead of poking fun at my post, why don't you answer the original question, huh?
Here's a link to the original question:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14798226

have a nice day,
RJS
No. of Recommendations: 1
ok goofyhoofy,
You want to know if my reply was a joke. NO.

Well then, how embarrassing for you.

I was simply pointing out to the newcomer to this board, that in addition to the quantitative aspects, there are qualitative aspects as well.

Yes, and as I pointed out, AOL passes them qualitative ones with flying colors. If you had given it ten seconds thought, you might have seen that.

How many companies do you know where people send in $20 per month, every month?? Repeat purchases? Ha! I challenge someone to give an example of a more dominant brand. Convenience? Expanding possibilities? Double ha!

Did you really take the course? Didn't some of this pop immediately to mind?

Instead of poking fun at my post, why don't you answer the original question, huh?

I have posted maybe 500 times on the AOL board, maybe more. The question has been answered a hundred times, maybe a hundred hundred times by others and by me. If you're really interested, start here:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100347&mid=11792346&sort=username

If not, don't go telling people that "maybe they failed qualitatively" when you haven't given it a minutes' thought.

Poor newbie, same stuff over and over.

Check out one of "Goofyhoofy" older posts.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1060151004319006
No. of Recommendations: 1
I am pretty new to Fooldom and trying to learn and understand.... One question I have is this: What is keeping AOL from being included in the list of Rule Makers? My number-crunching of AOL's recent figures through the RM Essentials spreadsheet makes it look pretty good.

ccrissma,

I haven't run AOL through a ranker recently, but as others have commented I would think that from a qualitative point of view they should do quite well. I would speculate that one reason the portfolio hasn't really given AOL that much consideration for Rule Makerdom is that it is already in the other flagship Fool portfolio (Rule Breaker), and having the same stock in both portfolios would probably cause more confusion than they choose to address. I think that's the same reason why you won't see Starbucks (SBUX) in the Rule Maker port either, even though it wouldn't be difficult to make a case for their Rule Maker status.

Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.

the LanceMan