Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
First the floods..now...

Two earthquakes rattled North Texas within 10 minutes late Saturday night.

The U.S. Geological Survey confirms a magnitude 3.4 earthquake occured at 11:05:01 p.m. The USGS listed the epicenter at 32.847°N, 96.956°W. That's just southwest of Las Colinas Country Club near North McArthur Blvd. and West Rochelle Road. It was southeast of DFW International Airport.

The second earthquake was a magnitude 3.1. It happened at 11:09:03 p.m. The USGS listed the epicenter at 32.768°N, 96.915°W. That location is Loop 12 Walton Walker Blvd., just north of Interstate 30 in far West Dallas. It is northwest of the city of Cockrell Hill.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Earthquake-Shakes-North-Tex...

---

I slept right on through it...was drizzling outside......slept like a baby after driving 13 hours....

t.
Print the post Back To Top
Two earthquakes rattled North Texas within 10 minutes late Saturday night.

Those were precursors to a volcanic eruption.

--fleg
I had fallen asleep as well.....but woke up later. Both were centered just southeast of DFW airport. Since it's a 3 something on the Richter scale, not where whether I could have felt it anyway. But I saw on other message boards at the news channels that those who lived near the area definitely felt it.
One was southeast of airport, the other on I-30 (west of town).

The only "earthquake" that I have ever felt was when they demolished the old Cowboy Stadium with dynamite. I live over 10 miles away, and I still felt my couch shake a bit.
I live over 10 miles away, and I still felt my couch shake a bit.

Your couch isn't a mustard-yellow color by any chance, is it?

--fleg
Your couch isn't a mustard-yellow color by any chance, is it?

--fleg

Close, but no cigar. It's tan leather.
Hopefully it's not a precursor to a New Madrid Fault Earthquake. That would be bad.

Art
"Close, but no cigar. It's tan leather." - aolf

That would work.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Hopefully it's not a precursor to a New Madrid Fault Earthquake. That would be bad. "

Yes, especially for TN....not so much for TX which is 500 miles away..

Likely some ground shift with all the fracking and NG extraction around here....

then again....there have been little quakes here for centuries....

I only worry about big ones...

t.
I had fallen asleep as well.....but woke up later. - AOL

------------------

Synchro, so did I.

And I plan on doing it again tonight too.
Must have been the dry Texas earth saying thank you, thank you, thank you after finally getting a soaking rain.

decath
Must have been the dry Texas earth saying thank you, thank you, thank you after finally getting a soaking rain.

decath

Very interesting take decath. I know you're joking, but I wonder if there's any truth to that. It's been very very dry, and all day Saturday we got so much rain all at once.
I downloaded an earthquake tracking app for my iPhone. Apparently, there was another earthquake (16 hours ago) rated at a 2.1. This is different than the ones from Saturday night, which were slightly stronger at over 3 on the Richter scale.

Nope, didn't feel anything....it was just a few miles from me too!!
AOL
Very interesting take decath. I know you're joking, but I wonder if there's any truth to that. It's been very very dry, and all day Saturday we got so much rain all at once.

You've been in North Tx for a while now AOL. Don't you think it's odd that we get a crapload of rain from Oct - May and then it all stops from June - Sept when you really need it? <g>

The lack of rain did not affect me that much until I bought some acreage. In fact, until then, it was generally a nuisance since rain prevented me from playing sports outside.

I discovered how precious water is; the difference in my budget the lack of it makes; how much it affects the beauty of my landscape.

decath
I had fallen asleep as well.....but woke up later. Both were centered just southeast of DFW airport. Since it's a 3 something on the Richter scale, not where whether I could have felt it anyway. But I saw on other message boards at the news channels that those who lived near the area definitely felt it.

I felt a 3.0 once. It was in 1990 or 1991 and the quake was centered beneath Lake Erie just north of Cleveland. That evening a friend and I were sitting in my living room talking, when we experienced a sensation that made me think someone in the apartment below me was moving a piano across the room, and my window made a "buzzing" sound.

Over in a couple seconds. No big deal.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hopefully it's not a precursor to a New Madrid Fault Earthquake. That would be bad.

Art

Take a look at what I found the other day:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48919027/ns/technology_and_scien...

Pleasant dreams, midwestern United States.