Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Ron,

I thought you'd enjoy this take on AP. There's not much meat on valuation, but a few of the author's points did sound strikingly familiar... :)

Gouldberg

---------------------------

Summary

• AP recently hit a 52-week low, and is trading well below its current book value.
• AP's 2014 earnings were depressed by a one-time hit on asbestos litigation.
• AP has been paying a steady dividend of 18 cents per quarter, and has a strong balance sheet.
• AP's inputs, energy and ferrous scrap costs, are both on the decline.

Why I'm bullish
And that's where the good news starts coming in, and why I'm flat out flummoxed by the company testing its lows for the year. As stated before, this is basically a steel company we're talking about. They have three major input costs, labor, energy, and ferrous scrap.

Labor costs in the US are more or less flat this year, so let's ignore that for the time being and focus on the other two. Electricity prices soared in 2014, and that's likely where a lot of the additional expenses (litigation aside) came from. With the prices of oil and coal dropping substantially off their 2014 highs, the energy costs for Ampco-Pittsburgh should be less of an obstacle.

Then there's the real good news. Ferrous scrap prices were more or less flat throughout most of 2014 but have started dropping in early 2015, which means the substantial input for all those steel rolls and air duct systems is going down with it.

Cont'd:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3009456-ampco-pittsburgh-is-...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.