No. of Recommendations: 4
https://siliconangle.com/blog/2017/11/10/apache-could-be-gam...

Would have assumed, since Apache is so widespread in server rooms, that Nutanix already seamlessly worked with it. Seems that is not the case, but that Nutanix plans to, and the CEOis out there saying that this a competitive advantage that will make MSFT totally have to change its way of business,and that VMWare is a long way from being able to equal.

A little commentary here in general. One reason that I never held onto TTD, even though I literally tried it on twice for a day or two is because I am suspicious when the power of personality has to sell your company. This is the case with TTD and with Nutanix. Powerful and evangelizing CEOs making over the top promises to the world of the future their companies have.

Sure, Tesla is an example of this working. Some would say it really is not working, but buying time, in regard to Tesla. Not here to debate that. Twilio is another such example.

With TTD their business results were excellent, but you know what, not as excellent as their rhetoric would indicate. That draws a red flag. We have to take this rhetoric with holistic analysis.

With this Nutanix announcement, will it be as thunderous as the CEO is claiming with his rhetoric? Same sort of thing. I do not think it is a “game changer” as he indicates. Because if it was, why have they not done it before? Open source Apache has been a mainstay of the data center for quite a long time.

For those who follow ANET, I fully expect its revenue growth to possibly taper. But ANET is not giving off any hyperbole that it will not. In fact ANET says just the opposite, do not expect such extraordinary growth (albeit few believe them in these claims), but it is a marked change in rhetoric and promotion. ANET lets its business and products speak for themselves. NVDA does the same. TTD and Nutanix both have excellent product, but they hype what they have more than their business results evidence.

As such, you have companies talking about actual business without need to read to hyperbole vs. companies talking about the future of their businesses in a hyperbole fashion, instead of selling what their business is. Thus trying to increase their share price into a story stock rather than having it valued on its fundamentals.

That is why I just did not feel comfortable holding TTD. It is a fine red line, but I have fell for far too many stories in the past. TTD is an excellent business. But at this point their growth rates, as we here from each segment is not matching up to their revenue growth rates. And has not since they have been a public company, despite otherwise great results.

It is really at least a yellow flag when things slow down during what will probably be THE LARGEST Black Friday and then subsequent Christmas season in histroy this year and advertisers are planning to spend their money in greater proportion away from programmatic and instead using other avenues.

Sorry for the length. Rather nuanced subconscious feel I get as to what is currently going on with both TTD and Nutanix. And that feel may change down the road again as valuation and circumstances change, but that is the feel I have had for awhile with both, and as to why I have tried both on but never held them. Then again I did buy Trivago for two full days, trying something new. Yeash.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.