Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Apparently. SP 500 has outperformed active managed large cap 63%. This is a dip from 80% figure usually mentioned. Perhaps an indivdual has greater chance to beat index in bear markets? What do you all think?

I think that managed funds held cash, which was not in any of the stock indexes. They hold cash to meet redemptions and because it may take a while to find stocks where the manager wants to put new money or money from selling stocks (s)he doesn't want to hold any more.

That cash drags down performance when stocks advance, and bouys performance when stocks decline.

I own one managed fund outside of tax-advantaged 401ks and IRAs. It declined in 2000, but I was hit with capital gains (some short term!) on which I had to pay taxes...even though it lost money. So, for people investing outside of tax-advantaged accounts, their after tax returns might not be as good as the raw numbers reported, because of short-term gains (higher tax rate) an having to pay those taxes each year on funds that churn stocks.

Hey--my savings bonds have beat 95% of all managed stock funds and stock index funds...over the last 2.5 years. If we want to pick certain time frames to compare, we can come up with all sorts of forced comparisons. If ya' really get selective on the time periods, you could beat stocks handily by investing in collectible postage stamps and fine art. You could also make a case for lottery tickets, by picking only those weeks in which you win and neglecting the weeks where you lose.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.