Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
The important questions are whether it will come with a USB-C charging port and a high impedance headphone jack. And a 3% stock pop on a rumor that won't become a reality for 4 more years, if at all? The market is daft.
No. of Recommendations: 2
And a 3% stock pop on a rumor that won't become a reality for 4 more years, if at all? The market is daft.

I still remember the rumors swirling for an Apple television (not the Apple TV or Apple TV+). That came to nothing. I’ve read that Apple has hired or promoted this or that car guy over the past few years, so I’ll agree that they’re putting some amount of resources into it, but we don’t have any hard evidence of how seriously they’re developing an actual product — if at all.

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 1
There are also stories of Apple approaching some existing car manufacturers about building their car for them. One was Hyundai-Kia, which generated some stories back in February.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35411762/apple-hyundai-ki...

That was followed by rumors of a partnership with LG, which doesn't even make cars (but does make batteries!).

https://observer.com/2021/04/apple-car-near-manufacturing-de...

Moving on to September and we get such stories as:

According to Digitimes (via 9to5Mac), Apple is preparing to start mass production of the Apple Car in 2024. The company is reportedly in talks with a number of potential partners in Asia, including Toyota and LG.

The idea that they "preparing" without settling on who makes it seems... contradictory.

https://bgr.com/tech/apple-car-production-may-finally-start-...

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20210901PD210.html

Given all this I have to wonder how much of the "car" has been designed, and how much might be left up to an eventual manufacturing partner. If Apple did all the engineering for the automotive side that seems like a stretch. If they are leaving much of that to a partner they aren't likely to be innovative outside the software realm.

It could be interesting to watch.
No. of Recommendations: 0
You might imagine that Apple's main contribution will be electronics design and software. In the case of an EV that might fit into a generic auto body equipped with suitable options.
No. of Recommendations: 8
You might imagine that Apple's main contribution will be electronics design and software.

.."hey Siri, take me to the deli"..

..it will take 15 days 12 hours and 36 minutes to reach New Delhi, India..

.."no. no, take me to the delicatessen"..

..there are 15 dietitians in your area, which one would you like?

.."oh forget it, I'm going to walk"..

..getting driving directions to Amawalk, New York, 2 days, 11 hours and 23 minutes..
Apple is well known for streamlining features to keep them easy to use.

How long did it take to switch to standard time on your car radio/sound system. How many drivers are distracted trying to figure out the electronics in their latest vehicle.

There is much room for improvement. Apple could work wonders.

And I'll bet Siri can figure out which is your favorite deli the first time you go there.
You might imagine that Apple's main contribution will be electronics design and software. In the case of an EV that might fit into a generic auto body equipped with suitable options.

They days when a generic EV body is available is still well in the future. Tesla executes the EV auto body at one level. So far every major ICE auto maker executes the EV auto body at a lower level. Would Apple be satisfied to put their name on a car that is, other than what Apple provides, run of the mill? If not, I question how Apple, on their first swing at the ball, could come up with something compelling enough. I'm not rooting against them, just having trouble swallowing it.

When Apple redefined what a phone was, the expectations based on what phones had been were pretty basic. The expectations about cars are far more advanced, and vastly more complex.
"Make or buy" is a standard business decision. Apple is very good at it. They do not make the iPhone. They designed it and have others build it.

Apple has a good engineering department but their skill and experience is mostly in electronics and the consumer interface. Contracting with others to make the whole vehicle--possibly in a jv--seems plausible. But of course all of this is speculation.

We shall see what they decide to do.
No. of Recommendations: 3
They do not make the iPhone. They designed it and have others build it.

Not quite. Apple invents new materials, manufacturing processes, and machines. They exert fairly tight control over the whole thing. It's not as though they say "Here's our iPhone spec. Please build it as best you can."

I think they are less involved in the manufacturing of their Apple Silicon. There (I think) they do the design and have it built by others (TSMC). But less involved doesn't mean uninvolved.

As to cars, Apple is known for conducting many experiments that never result in a shipping product. Saying "no" is one of their strengths. SJ certainly maintained that it was the foundation of good design. I'm pretty sure that by the time Apple sells a "car" it won't be anything you recognize as a car. In any case, right now it's all rumors and guesswork. Apple hasn't said anything. There's no there there.

By the time you see anything from Apple, all new cars worth anything will be autonomous, electric, and usually network connected. They'll effectively be moving livingrooms. Entertainment, noise management, and lifestyle accommodation will be what it's all about. That's the core of Apple's business.

-IGU-
Contracting with others to make the whole vehicle--possibly in a jv--seems plausible. But of course all of this is speculation.

I'm reminded of the Motorola ROKR -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_ROKR

-awlabrador