No. of Recommendations: 7
In another thread, I asked whether an Apple Authorized Service Provider might be cheaper than the Apple Store, for repairs. (From the other thread: I've decided not to bring my iMac in for repair just yet. While the SMART Reallocated Sectors error still indicates a growing Pre-Fail condition, all other tests still show a healthy SSD, so I'm watching and waiting.)

However, my son's 2012 15" MBP Retina's screen has been glitchy since yesterday. The menu bar appears flickering at the bottom of the screen while simultaneously appearing at the top, and the left edge also seems "off" a bit. I did all kinds of things to determine that it's not a software issue (resetting SMC, boot in Safe Mode, etc.), so I think I'm assured that it's a hardware issue, either the ribbon connector or the graphics card (?). I checked on Apple's Support website to see what reservations I could make, and none of the nearby Apple Stores has an available reservation until Saturday, at the earliest. However, my nearby Apple Authorized Service Provider seems to take walk-ins, so I'll try them.

What surprised me a little is that Apple lists them as an Apple Premium Service Provider. I had no idea such a thing existed. It seems that not only are they Authorized but that they're "recognized annually by Apple for consistently offering the highest levels of satisfaction and service excellence to our customers" (Apple's words from Apple's website).

So, while I'd be comfortable with a regular Authorized Service Provider, I'm feeling even better with them.

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.