Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Maybe I'm cynical, but this tiny article was slightly under whelming.

Can someone who bought something from one of the Apple stores, particularly a system, tell me if Apple made any attempt to determine their buying motivations? It would be nice if AAPL was polling the customers at the stores to determine who was an existing AAPL user and who was a convert. Then maybe the factors that drove the customer to change. Maybe a customer survey form or something.

That way, Steve or Fred could say something like, "We sold x number of Macs, and y% of these went to Windows users who tell us they bought a Mac because of such-and-such".

We could see how effective the stores are.

First2Fight
No. of Recommendations: 1
Maybe I'm cynical, but this tiny article was slightly under whelming.

Can someone who bought something from one of the Apple stores, particularly a system, tell me if Apple made any attempt to determine their buying motivations? It would be nice if AAPL was polling the customers at the stores to determine who was an existing AAPL user and who was a convert. Then maybe the factors that drove the customer to change. Maybe a customer survey form or something.

That way, Steve or Fred could say something like, "We sold x number of Macs, and y% of these went to Windows users who tell us they bought a Mac because of such-and-such".

We could see how effective the stores are.

First2Fight

I think that ATAT reported earlier that Apple was conducting exit interviews at some of its stores and giving people $20 for the effort afterwards. So, I'm sure that they're trying to determine their success on a scientific basis and not just pulling numbers out of thin air.

I think that you'll get your wish of being informed on how many converts the stoes have created.

Paul
No. of Recommendations: 2
I was talking to a manager of one of the stores.

According to him the 80/20 rule is in full effect.

20% of customers are Mac users, they provide 80% of sales.

80% of customers are PC users, they provide 20% of sales.

No. of Recommendations: 0
Can someone who bought something from one of the Apple stores, particularly a system, tell me if Apple made any attempt to determine their buying motivations? It would be nice if AAPL was polling the customers at the stores to determine who was an existing AAPL user and who was a convert

Sorry I can't give you the url, but I recall seeing a post here to the effect that during a visit to a store the poster noted sales clerks keeping records of buyers' previous paltform.
No. of Recommendations: 3
First2Fight posted:

WiredNews reported today:

Ron Johnson, an Apple retail exec, said Apple is extensively tracking the stores' traffic to see who is coming in, who's buying and whether non-Mac people are really being converted. But that's "not data that we're sharing with anyone."

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,47330,00.html

gammil
It may be that coversions from Windows to Macs is not what the stores are designed for. Evidence shows that Apple's market is expanding outside of the U.S. and that inside the U.S. Apple users are a pretty fixed group. What you find at the Apple store is Apple users buying their fourth, fifth, or sixth Apple -- sometimes where the earlier ones are still being used. New capabilities, better speed, etc. are the motivation.

If you are looking for growth in Apple's market, the stores may not be the best place to look.
What you find at the Apple store is Apple users buying their fourth, fifth, or sixth Apple -- sometimes where the earlier ones are still being used. New capabilities, better speed, etc. are the motivation.
If you are looking for growth in Apple's market, the stores may not be the best place to look.

Doesn't make sense.

1. Existing Mac users already know how to shop online at the Apple store. So why spend money creating retail stores when they are already buying?

2. How do you know whether the customers are PC or Mac users? I didn't know the Mall of America was exclusively a Mac user's hang-out. If so, there must be more Mac users than I thought.

3. How do you know what buyer's motivation is? How fdo you know the "Genius Bar" isn't the motivation - or the fact you can try out video cameras?

4. If you are looking for growth in Apple's market, the retail stores might be the BEST place to look

Let me know when you have some substance to back-up your meaningless speculation.

DVid