No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello everyone! I have made the maximum $2,000 contribution to my Roth for the last four years. In addition, my employers have been taking money out of my monthly paychecks and putting it into two "teacher" retirement programs: APPLE and PARS. Here is my question: now that I am leaving both retirement programs, I have approximately $2,800 to rollover, re-invest, etc.--what are my options regarding the Roth? Can I roll the $2,800 over to my Roth? Can I use $2,000 of the $2,800 for next year's contribution? Can I simply ask the people at APPLE and PARS to send the money, untouched by me, to my brokerage house for some sort of tax-sheltered investment? My assumption, by the way, is that most would consider it ludicrous to "cash in" the $2,800 and pay 20% to the military budget, or wherever it might go.

Please help me.
In cahoots,
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.