Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
No. of Recommendations: 3
Recently I have had 2 friends who are long term Apple users switch to PCs just because they used them at their office This must be happening all over. I think Appple needs to get their products into businesses. No one wants to learn a new operating system for home use and one for business. OSX is made for business but if Apple does not market it as such, share will decline and when Steve goes it will leave only me and a few others. Apple is now trading for less than its enterprise value. The Apple brand name, Filemaker, OX9 and X, etc.. have some value = the cash. Yet the stock is pushing its all time low. OLSX I have been told buy a NEXT software engineer who works on it can run on Sun's Sparc processor as well as the Intel chips. Why not market OSX on all the above? A machine running both Windows and OSX would make sales to schools a done deal. How about a nice Ipc in molded windowesque plastic?

Are you listening Steve?

Chief
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 12
chiefplentybull said "Recently I have had 2 friends who are long term Apple users switch to PCs just because they used
them at their office This must be happening all over."

I hope you're wrong about this happening all over. I think there must be something wrong with your friends. I've always used PC's at work and I've always owned Apple myself. The way I look at it, when my PC's break at work (like they ALWAYS do) there is someone else that has to fix it, when my Apple breaks at home (which it NEVER has) I would have to fix it. Maybe someday I'll actually have to fix a problem.

MESuther13
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Recently, I have seen the opposite happen. Four peecee heads switched over to the Mac in the last three months.

Two reasons in particular:
1) The iBooks light weight AND light price.
2) Airport.

milleniumfalcon
Leading the charge as best I can
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 21
chiefplentybull said "Recently I have had 2 friends who are long term Apple users switch to PCs just because they used
them at their office This must be happening all over."

And then MESuther13 said:

I hope you're wrong about this happening all over.


Count me as having done exactly the opposite. I recently bought my first Mac partly because I use WinNT/Win2K at work, and am far too well acquainted with their routine foibles. (Another reason was the whole MS ignore-the-JD, give-us-your-credit-card-and-shut-up strategy, which I can't bring myself to support any longer; but that's beside the point.) One instance doesn't refute his premise, of course; but I like to think that the personal computing world is moving toward diversity, regardless of occasional converts in the MS direction.

lizmonster
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
You have some great ideas here that may work. I personnally have been running OS 9.1 & OS X along w/ windows 98 via Connectix for several months on a G3 B&W w/o any major problems.

In addition, I also own a PowerBook and a G4 MT which is set up to run mainly on OS 9.1 altho it has a separate drive for OS X (which I am trying to upgrade to 10.1 w/o updating to the mandated/required 9.2) But I haven't yet found a way to do this yet. Hence, this latter update is on hold for now.)

The reason I don't wish to update OS 9.1 to version 10.1 yet is because I currently have it running perfectly w/ Toast 5 in order to write to DVD-RW and DVD-R along w/ FCP 2 and i-movie 2. Thus I'm likely one of the few people who out there who can successfully burn mpeg one & two files as well as raw data to DVD-RW on a G4 733 w/superdrive. I'm not sure if the newer models are set up to do this same task.

It would be too much of a risk to update the main HD to version 10.1 in this particular situation since many aps aren't yet compatible w/ 10.1 nor 9.2 for that matter.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
chiefplentybull said "Recently I have had 2 friends who are long term Apple users switch to PCs just because they used
them at their office This must be happening all over."


Count me in as personally witnessing the opposite happening, with three recent converts to Mac from PC, despite the fact that they all use PC's at work. I just installed OSX on my sister's iMac (a Mac to PC convert and current PC user at work). "It's so clean," was her first comment.

chiefplentybull, I think your name says it all.


Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6

Recently I have had 2 friends who are long term Apple users switch to PCs just because they used them at their office This must be happening all over. I think Appple needs to get their products into businesses. No one wants to learn a new operating system for home use and one for business. OSX is made for business but if Apple does not market it as such, share will decline and when Steve goes it will leave only me and a few others. Apple is now trading for less than its enterprise value. The Apple brand name, Filemaker, OX9 and X, etc.. have some value = the cash. Yet the stock is pushing its all time low. OLSX I have been told buy a NEXT software engineer who works on it can run on Sun's Sparc processor as well as the Intel chips. Why not market OSX on all the above? A machine running both Windows and OSX would make sales to schools a done deal. How about a nice Ipc in molded windowesque plastic?


Yep, you are definitely Plenty Bull...

If you are going to bash Apple, at least pull out some new arguments, not arguments that are essentially 5 years old (only updated with newer products)! I mean, if this argument were true then Apple would have died 5 years ago.

Paul
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Count me in as personally witnessing the opposite happening, with three recent converts to Mac from PC, despite the fact that they all use PC's at work. I just installed OSX on my sister's iMac (a Mac to PC convert and current PC user at work). "It's so clean," was her first comment.

I think the score is now 8 to 2 in favor of PC users converting to Macs. Seems to me this suggests it 'must be happening all over.'

The Wintel world should watch out because apparently Macs are gobbling up the markets space.

Paul
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 8
What I've noticed lately, within this past few months is an interest in this Unix based system X, from folks that never would have even mentioned Mac a couple years back. And from totally different sources... An ISP tech support guy, Wreless cell tech, Switching systems techs, all use Unix day to day, so its emergence on the desktop arena has 'em goin' nicely... It will be an interesting future...

weco
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
> Subject: Re: apple's slow death
>
> "The reason I don't wish to update OS 9.1 to version 10.1 yet is because I
> currently have it running perfectly w/ Toast 5 in order to write to DVD-RW
> and DVD-R along w/ FCP 2 and i-movie 2. Thus I'm likely one of the few
> people who out there who can successfully burn mpeg one & two files as
> well as raw data to DVD-RW on a G4 733 w/superdrive. I'm not sure if the
> newer models are set up to do this same task."
>
> Hi adriantejada,
>
> If you don't mind me asking, how are you doing this? I've had a
> SuperDrive 733 since March but I was under the impression that it wasn't
> possible.
>
> I have Toast 5, by the way.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> - Rob
>
>


It is possible to burn DVD-R as well as DVD-RW on a mac. And it sounds like you also have the correct software. I've been doing it for the last 2 months even before HP came out with their newer dvd-rw drives. I do this w/a G4 733 w/ the pioneer internal A103 superdrive (pretty much the same unit you have) along w/the most current version of Toast 5 as well as i-movie 2 and FCP 2 plus QT5 pro.

P.S. Please don't let my computer know that it isn't supposed to work this well w/ Toast 5 in terms of burning to both DVD-R plus DVD-RW.


Hope this is helpful.


Feel free to e-mail me with your results.

Adrian
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4

Recently I have had 2 friends who are long term Apple users switch to PCs just because they used them at their office


Well, I know 2 PC users who recently swicthed to Apple because they use them at the office.

I guess that means Windows must be dying a slow death?

A machine running both Windows and OSX would make sales to schools a done deal.

And what's wrong with the current machines, which will indeed run MacOS 9, MacOS X, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Linux, UNIX, BeOS and other niches OSes too numerous to mention?

Gosh, let's spend a fortune changing hardware architectures, and marketing Intel or Sparc chips, just to implement a feature that already exists? Sheesh.

DVid
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
The reason I don't wish to update OS 9.1 to version 10.1 yet is because I currently have it running perfectly w/ Toast 5 in order to write to DVD-RW and DVD-R along w/ FCP 2 and i-movie 2. Thus I'm likely one of the few people who out there who can successfully burn mpeg one & two files as well as raw data to DVD-RW on a G4 733 w/superdrive. I'm not sure if the newer models are set up to do this same task.

Huh?

I have a Quicksilver G4 867 MHz with Superdrive

It has OS 9.2 and (just upgraded!) OS 10.1

I can do all of the things you mention here.


So I don't really understand your point.

DVid
Print the post Back To Top