Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
On December 1st, 2008 the quarterly common stock dividend for WTR will be raised by 8% to $0.135 per share ($0.54 per share annualized). This is the eighteenth dividend increase in the last 17 years for Aqua America.

From the Letter to Shareholders:
"Operating revenues were flat this quarter at $150.8 million compared to $150.6 million in the second quarter of last year due in part to unfavorable weather and economic conditions, as well as the dispositions of systems in Fort Wayne, Indiana and Henrico, Virginia in prior quarters which reduced revenues.

Net income in the second quarter was $22.6 million compared to $23.7 million in the same period of 2007.

Aqua America reported fully diluted earnings per share of $0.17 this quarter compared to $0.18 in the same quarter of the prior year."
[end quote]

The best news is they raised the dividend.

The good news is they're still paying the dividend.

The bad news is revenues didn't go up this time around.

This sure ain't the earnings I'd hoped for, but considering the current economic conditions I expect we'll be seeing a lot of dividend reports like this one in years to come.

I don't know 'bout y'all, but I intend to hold on to my dividend paying US utilities. They provide things (water, gas, electricity) people can't get along without very well and politicians won't want their unwashed constituents freezing in the dark come election time.

Overall, in general, I expect the dividends of US utilities, as a group, to stagnate over the next few years and maybe even go down a bit in some cases. Nevertheless I plan to hold on to my utility stocks as I suspect other (non utility) stocks will be even less safe.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.