Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
Are household employees normally issued W-2?

Yes, assuming that there is an employer/employee relationship. Stop one is Form SS-8, which has the 20 common law questions figuring in this "facts and circumstances" determination. (This form doesn't have to be filed anywhere, it's just a decision aid.)

The situation you describe sounds like employer/employee. The employer's requirements are in Pub 926. Don't forget that there's also a requirement to establish that the worker is legal to work. At the Federal level income tax withholding must be voluntary by both parties.

A word of warning. MIL may find that the worker isn't willing to work on the books. Better to find out before the worker starts stealing from MIL as well as the gummint.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.