Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Are the only paths (1) to try sell and take a loss, or (2) wait for possible bankruptcy settlement?

Yep. That's pretty much it.

Often, large brokerages will do a "courtesy purchase" for a penny or a dollar so that you have a sale transaction to get the almost worthless security out of your account. That is a bona fide sale, allowing you to properly claim the loss on your tax return.

You don't need to talk to Fido's tax desk - talk to the broker handling the account to see if these particular securities are able to be sold.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.