No. of Recommendations: 0
Are the people who go to 8 or even 16 GB doing something really advanced (such as video editing or high end gaming) which requires that…

I don't do any gaming, and rarely edit video.

I often have a half-dozen (or more) apps running simultaneously. My machine came with 2GB, and before I upgraded, switching between apps could be slow, as one was paged out to disk and the other loaded in from disk.

Now I have 8GB, meaning all those apps can be RAM-resident, without the virtual memory system paging anything out to disk.

So it's not that I'm apps that need huge amounts of memory. Rather, I'm running many apps which (in total) need huge amounts of memory.

(I occasionally run Parallels Desktop, a virtual machine app that does use huge gobs of memory, especially if I run 2 or more VMs at once. That's the only app I have that makes me wish I had more RAM.)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.