Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Are these realized capital gains and losses? In other words, have you actually sold the securities or are they still in your brokerage account?
Any sale of a security is reported on your income tax on Schedule D. Following the instructions for Schedule D you will report the date purchased and the cost and then the date sold and amount received. The difference is the capital gain or loss. Capital losses offset capital gains. Net short term capital gains are taxed as ordinary income. Net long term capital gains are taxed at a reduced tax rate. Net net capital losses can reduce your other income for tax purposes. Sales are reported for the tax year in which they occurred.
Dividends are reported as income on your tax return in the year received and are taxed at the same tax rate as on ordinary income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.