Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Are you a self-employed or do own a corporation?

First suggestion, call your accountant and ask to schedule a meeting to discuss some possible tax strategies. If you are up for it, maybe make it into an entertainment event and go golfing or see a baseball game. So you can take a business deduction and have some fun while you are at it. Or he/she might pay and you might get a return on your accounting fees that you pay throughout the year.

Discuss changing your business classification, a medical reimbursement plan, retirement planning, etc etc.

Changing to a S-Corporation will save you on self-employment taxes, but it will require more work and filing of paperwork on your part.

Depending on your business a C-Corporation might be more beneficial then a S-Corporation but only your accountant would know that for sure. Ask about the fringe benefits available to C-corporations: medical reimbursement plans, supper plans, term life insurance, etc etc.

Just a thought.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.