Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Are you able to roll over 401k assets from a current job/company into an IRA? The costs of 401k are high and limited options to invest, I would like to take and roll into an IRA, is this legal?

It is legal to do an 'in-service rollover'. However, your current 401(k) plan must allow you to do so. Most do not unless you have reached 59 1/2. But, there are some that do allow it - you will need to check with your plan administrator to see if your plan is one that does allow 'in-service rollovers'.

If you are very unhappy with your choices, and don't feel the downside of the high costs and limited choices are offset by the tax benefits you get (either the current tax benefit for tradtional accounts, or the future tax benefit associated with Roth accounts), then it would probably be best to invest in your 401(k) only up to the match that you get and invest other money in a taxable acocunt. If you don't get any match, then just invest in a taxable account.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.